Hood Bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood Bag

I've got a few things to sort out now before getting the car sprayed one of which is the hood bag. Originally I was going to get the Marlin bag at the same time as pucrchasing the hood & frame, but the significant price increase put me off.

I'm pondering whether it would be possible to make my own and keen to hear from Cabrio owners how complicated the bag is and how well the Marlin hood bag fits.

Does the Marlin hood bag just attach using the 2 lift the dot fasteners (behind the doors) or does it attach else where too?

Thanks

Simon

Re: Hood Bag

Hi Simon.
    Unless your good with the old " Singer" I would suggest it's money well spent. It's very well tailored and hugs the whole hood and frame down to look tight and streamlined and defineatly cuts down the wind noise.Looking back at old photos mine actually fits better now than it did 12000 miles ago! It only uses the same 2dot fasteners as the skirt is heavily elasticated. I'm sure you've seen one in situ but if not I'll send some pics.Is yours a new BMW build?

Cheers Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

My Cabrio is actually a '97 car and I'm the 3rd owner. When I received the car it was part built & originally had a Pinto engine fitted.

Thanks for the info on the Marlin hood bag. As you say I've seen a few 'in situ' but hadn't realised that the skirt is elasticated. Some pictures of the hood bag off the car would be very much appreciated thanks.

I'm now wondering whether to get a hood bag made up as it should be quicker than getting one from Marlin.

Thanks

Simon

Comment

Hi Simon
        As Chris says, it looks good and fits well, but if the weather turns 'orrid and you need to put the hood up, you need to find somewhere to stow the bag, and it is quite bulky. As a result, I don't use my bag a great deal. Having said that, I don't want to sell mine, but you might find someone who wants to dispose of theirs. With or without a bag, most of the noise from a folded hood comes from the overcentre clips which rattle. To date the best cure for this is to wrap some velcro cable ties around them.
        Cheers - Dave

Comment

Simon,
          I have a hood bag for my Hunter - Please give me a ring or email direct - details in Pitstop

Comment

Hi Simon, sorry about the delay; I,ve been struggling with alot of snow and a busted shoulder! Hope these help. Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, sorry to hear about your shoulder and I can't believe that we've had yet more snow today.

Did you mean to attach some photos?

Thanks, Simon

Comment

hi simon, scuse 1 handed text but had major surgery on shoulder last week. i now realise i took photos with wizzy camara, so pics more than 200k, and will sort when feeling less like mr bean and the lampost.....all best chris

Comment

Hi Chris, no problem at all & hope you are feeling better soon.

Cheers, Simon

Comment

Hi Simon, now back in the land of the living. This is probably a bit late but here are the photos. Hope this helps. Chris

Comment

Simon if there is a problem with my pictures let me have your email address and I can send them directly to you! C

Comment

Hi Chris - please can you email me the photos on the following address: [email protected]

I have got some quotes from local autotrimmers but they worked out even more expensive than Marlin. So I've now been in touch with Terry and they can no longer supply Cabrio hood bags (they can get one made up but need the car whilst they make it).

So I'm now seriously thinking about buying an industrial sewing machine off E-bay and making one myself !

Many Thanks

Simon

Comment

Working...
                        X