The dreaded IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded IVA

Well despite my best efforts and really long weekends ands nights in the garage I have to face reality and say I don't think I will get my car ready for test before the SVA end deadline. So if I want to swan around in my Cabrio it will have to go through an IVA test.

I have got a copy of the latest version 3 IVA manual and there are a couple of areas that may cause problems.

My 13 digit chassis number is a no no, it has to be minimum of 17 digits and include a vin plate so I guess I will need to speak to Terry at Marlin about getting a 17 digit number allocated and the required proof from them.

The fuel tank requirements look like they may cause some problems for instance IVA talks about the tank not being positioned near a heat source so maybe an exhaust heat shield as I have used at the moment is out. Also talks about vunrability to puncture in a rear end colision and there is quite a lot of tank exposed below the chassis / body line on a Cabrio.

Bumpers also look like they may need work as I don't thnk the exsiting design meets my interpretation of the IVA requirement.

Still trawling through the manual and making notes but I would be interested to hear other peoples views on IVA and issues for the Cabrio. I guess any unfinished Cabrio and Sportsters will be in the same boat.

I obviousley want to see my car finshed and on the road but that said I need to be mindfull of what's required (work and cash wise) to get there under IVA.

Be interested to hear other peoples views on this, not just those building but also from owners who are already road legal. There is a lot of rubbish talked on some of the kit car sites about IVA but there are some areas in IVA which will impact a car like the Cabrio, its a shame no one is still marketing the car as at least there would have been a manufacturer working on any issues and maybe agreeing solutions in consultation with the guys at VOSA.

Anyway to end on a happy note, at least the sun is shining!!

John

Re: The dreaded IVA

Hi John
    I've not read any of the new IVA regulations, but the best way to approach either SVA or IVA is to make your best effort, but don't expect to pass! The retest is relatively cheap and at least you are working to a list of problems to fix, rather than second guessing.
    As regards the VIN, you needed 17 digits for SVA; I don't know where you got 13 from, but it needs allocating by DVLA anyway. I've used Leeds DVLA, and Richard Blythe who does inspections is very helpful, which is more than can be said of the office staff when you go for registration - they all suffer with a&e disease (the second word is elbow).
    Assuming things haven't changed since last year, the procedure is:
    (1) Fill in V627/1 Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report and send to DVLA. They will ask you to take the car to them (they no longer come to you) so they can check where all the components come from. The car does not need to be complete or even running, so you need to trailer it to them. Take the V5 from the donor car and a letter from the engine manufacturer confirming the year the engine was made (which may be different to the donor car registration). Also all the receipts for the main components. All they are interested in at this stage is that you own all the bits, and establishing the age of the recycled parts. They will then allocate a VIN and possibly a registration number, based on the age of the donor (but not the donor number). I doubt they will be happy with a VIN plate as this is easily altered or replaced - the IVA inspector will want to see it stamped into the chassis, I put it on the web at the bottom of the screen surround. You may have a few weeks delay in getting this inspection, so get on it asap.
    (2) Send in your IVA application - it used to be SVA1 for SVA, I don't know what the new form is, but the testing station will send it to you. I guess you will be using Chadderton (Manchester) - my experience there is that they try to help you pass and will make suggestions either for immediate fixes or later ones for the retest. The first thing on the form, and the first thing they check is the VIN - if it ain't on the chassis, the test stops there! Incidentally, the DVLA also gives you a declaration form to confirm the stamping of the VIN.
    (3) Once you've passed (1st, 2nd, 3rd attempt) you can apply to the DVLA for registration using form V55/5. You also need insurance, but not an MoT, unless IVA has changed that. I had it in writing from Swansea that a kitcar did not need an MoT until 3 years old, because it is based on year of manufacture on the V5, and this should be the year the SVA was passed. Again, does IVA change this?
    As regards the other issues, it may be worth speaking to the IVA testing station, but otherwise I suggest suck it and see!
    Cheers - Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

Things may well be different inder IVA. The test is currently stated by Vosa to be £540 and unconfirmed reports state retest at £500, so if it takes three attempts it is serious money and maybe time to move on.

I was interested by your comments regards vin and DVLA/SVA process. My comments on vin could be misleading. As I understand things the IVA requires a vin plate with name of manufacturer and vin number on a vin plate on right of vehicle plus repeat of vin stamped on the chassis. I took vin to mean chassis number which on my LWB Cabrio is stamped on the chassis by marlin and is on the left of the bulkhead and is 13 digits, IVA need 17 hence my comment.

I had not relaised the car had to be inspected by DVLA prior to SVA. I thought you filled out the forms for VOSA SVA application, submitted for SVA, hopefully passed first time, got the MAC certificate and then presented to DVLA for the reg etc..

I agree they are likely to be keen to see the car pass put if the costs for IVA become reality you need to know before embarking on the route the car will go through in its current design, failing a few times based on current reports for retest fees could be financial melt down.

From what I can see from the current IVA manual the area of concern will be the rear impact issues regard the location of the fuel tank and its exposure below the bodyline in the event of a rear collision impact. I guess the Sportster will be affected in the same way so maybe Marlin have a view. I am sure all things of this kind can be overcome but I don't really want to be the guinea pig.

Interesting times!

John

Comment

Hi John
        The only "fuel" considerations on SVA were regarding contactable edges on the filler cap, possible leaks from the system, and restricting the pipe for lead-free. So, if there are now considerations for rear end collisions, this is certainly new for IVA. The car design as it now stands may pass as it is as there is a chassis rail behind the tank, but I guess you are concerned about the lower edge. Perhaps a (braced?) rail extending down is required?

As regards a VIN plate, check Club Goods - it is a neatly printed item on aluminium, although it is an old design as it says 'Marlin, Plymouth'. Alternatively, make your own, and stamp on whatever takes your fancy - VIN, engine number, reg no, Marlin chassis no. SVA only required a plate for goods vehicles, so this looks like a new requirement for other vehicles.

Good luck, and if you do go for an IVA test, let everyone know what happens - good or bad! I hope retest fees are kept to sensible levels.
        Dave

Comment

Hi Dave

Thanks for the response. There are quire a lot of sutble changes in IVA which may cause problems but most seem easy enough to get past. The fuel tank question is more worrying as far as the Cabrio and I would suspect Sportster are concerned. The wording in the IVA manual is along the lines that the tank must not be positioned in such a way as to present a risk of the tank contacting or being punctured by sharp edges in the event of a rear end collision. The 12 gallon tank in my Cabrio has about 1 - 2cm clearance from the tank to the diff mounting bracket. I feel sure they may feel this is a significant risk in the event of a rear end impact as if the chassis colapses to absorb the inpact which in all probability it would, the tank would be pushed into the diff. Also as you point out there is a lot of the tank totally unshielded below the chassis line in the event of a rear end impact.

I have pretty much decided to moth ball the car for the time being until the test and retest fees have been confirmed and some feedback starts to come through on the IVA. I don't want to spend any more money on the car if I cannot be sure I can get it through IVA. All things of course are possible but the question is at what cost. I don't want to abandon it with all the work thats gone into it but I may not have a choice.

The EU strikes again !

Regards

John

Comment

Working...
          X