The dreaded IVA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The dreaded IVA

Well despite my best efforts and really long weekends ands nights in the garage I have to face reality and say I don't think I will get my car ready for test before the SVA end deadline. So if I want to swan around in my Cabrio it will have to go through an IVA test.

I have got a copy of the latest version 3 IVA manual and there are a couple of areas that may cause problems.

My 13 digit chassis number is a no no, it has to be minimum of 17 digits and include a vin plate so I guess I will need to speak to Terry at Marlin about getting a 17 digit number allocated and the required proof from them.

The fuel tank requirements look like they may cause some problems for instance IVA talks about the tank not being positioned near a heat source so maybe an exhaust heat shield as I have used at the moment is out. Also talks about vunrability to puncture in a rear end colision and there is quite a lot of tank exposed below the chassis / body line on a Cabrio.

Bumpers also look like they may need work as I don't thnk the exsiting design meets my interpretation of the IVA requirement.

Still trawling through the manual and making notes but I would be interested to hear other peoples views on IVA and issues for the Cabrio. I guess any unfinished Cabrio and Sportsters will be in the same boat.

I obviousley want to see my car finshed and on the road but that said I need to be mindfull of what's required (work and cash wise) to get there under IVA.

Be interested to hear other peoples views on this, not just those building but also from owners who are already road legal. There is a lot of rubbish talked on some of the kit car sites about IVA but there are some areas in IVA which will impact a car like the Cabrio, its a shame no one is still marketing the car as at least there would have been a manufacturer working on any issues and maybe agreeing solutions in consultation with the guys at VOSA.

Anyway to end on a happy note, at least the sun is shining!!

John

Re: The dreaded IVA

Complete Kit-Car have an excellent source of IVA information, culled from several of the recent articles. You can view and print the document for free, and you can find it here:

http://www.completekitcar.co.uk/svatoiva.html

That's my bedtime reading for tonight sorted out! :-)

Comment

Working...
    X