Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Brakes - Lockheed or Girling

Hi,
    Can someone please explain the difference between the 2 systems.
    I have managed to lay my hands on a brand new servo made by lockheed. My Marlin is based on a 1973 1.3 and has the girling brakes. I am wondering whether I should replace with new servo and lockheed master cylinder or to sell it on and keep searching.
    Is the dual line system based on the Lockheed servo as this I feel would be a worthy upgrade especially with the fitment of princess 4 pot calipers.
    Please help me to understand.
    Confused
    Jon
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: Marina Brakes - Lockheed or Girling

Message originally posted by: Alan Hogg
    Jon,
    My understanding is that the Lockheed servo is based on having a dual circuit. (I'm assuming that you have a servo for an 'in line system' If on the other hand you have a remote servo, you can fit it to your present master cylinder. There are two types of Girling master cylinders, non servo-bolt holes vertical and servo-bolt holes horizontal. It may be possible to use your Lockheed servo with a Girling master cyl. but you would definitely need the master cyl.with the fixing in the horizontal position. My advice would be to stick with the same manufacturer to avoid potential problems. Hope that's of some help

Comment

Thanks Alan.
      This is starting to make some sense.
      Can you please explain how a remote master cylinder works.
      This could be the way to get increased pressure. I.e. using a remote master cylinder with a larger bore master cylinder than the .75 job.
      Jon
      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

HI AGAIN JON,
        THINK WE MAY HAVE OUR WIRES CROSSED,LOCKHEED MANUFACTURED A 'REMOTE' SERVO THAT COULD BE RETROFITTED TO PRETTY MUCH ANY SYSTEM UNLIKE THE GIRLING AND LOCKHEED SERVO'S THAT WERE 'OPTIONAL' ON THE MARINA AND WERE FITTED IN TANDEM WITH THE MASTER CYLINDER.I WASN'T REFERING TO ANOTHER MASTER CYLINDER AS BEING REMOTE.CHANGING THE BORE SIZE OF THE MASTER CYLINDER DOES HAVE AN EFFECT ON THE FEEL AT THE PEDAL AND THE PRESSURE AT THE CALIPERS AND WHEEL CYLINDERS.THE NONSERVO MASTER CYLINDER FROM GIRLING WAS I THINK .70 BORE AND THE SERVO TYPE .75 BORE THE SAME AS THE LOCKHEED.ONE OF THE BEST WAYS TO IMPROVE PEDAL FEEL IS TO FIT BRAIDED HOSES LIKE THOSE SUPPLIED BY GOODRIDGE.IF YOU EVEN MORE CONFUSED YOU CAN CONTACT ME ON 01332 753000 IF YOU WISH!!

Comment

Alan,
          Sorry, my mistake. Too much wine with the chinese take away. I meant to type remote servo NOT master cylinder. My car is fitted with the Optional servo but is the girling super vac. I have bought a Lockheed non remote servo which I understand is from the later models.
          I already have goodridge hoses and greenstuff pads fitted but still suffer from brake fade with spirited driving and feel the braking system could be improved. I am trying to work out the best way to achieve maximum performance without spending huge amounts of money on a bespoke system.

Comment

I believe the Marina Owners Club (yes, there is one!) once designed and made available an adaptor which enabled a Ford Sierra front caliper to be fitted to the marina upright. Presumably the benefit comes from the much larger pad area afforded by the Sierra set-up. I don't know anyone who has tried it but if anyone is interested I have a contact who may be able to provide some information.

Comment

Working...
            X