V8 in a LWB Roadster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V8 in a LWB Roadster?

I'm always thinking of fiddling, and one of the things I keep fiddling with is the engine, originally I thought about dropping a RV8 in from a SD1, Land Rover or similar - something putting out around 150bhp or so (not too much).

I stopped the idea for reasons of sanity, but reacently have been thinking about upgrading the current Marina engine to be a Stage 2, Ford Type 9 'box and suitable rear axle to gain more performance but the lure of V8 is still on my mind.

I recieved an email some months ago from a friendly chap saying it was possible but didn't suggest that he knew of any Roadster's running a V8. Are there any about? Is it a done thing? How difficult will it be to shoe-horn one in?

The sound and power suggests it must be done

Re: V8 in a LWB Roadster?

I looked at this possibility a while back and I believe there was a factory option at 1 point...not found any details though, so don't know what this was based on other than it had a Capri rear-end. Whilst anything is possible I don't think it is going to be a straightforward engine swap. The V8 is about 70cm long, from water pump nose to end plate. The space between a standard Roadster bulkhead and steering rack mount is about the same (give or take depending on age)...but that doesn't allow any room for a gearbox bellhousing. This suggested, at least to me, that 1 of 2 things (or possibly both) had to happen...either the bulkhead got drastically altered (with the added possibility that the torsion bar/floor mounts might need revising to allow sufficient clearance for the gearbox bellhousing) or the steering rack is moved...my conclusion from this was that it would be a damn sight easier converting a Triumph based Roadster to V8 as the steering rack is already well out of the way. I'd love to hear from anyone who has actually done it though...I still dream of a V8 one day...
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Robert Porter
      Why a v8 when a few untuned 1.8-2ltr engines , such as Ford Zetec Vauxhall, or Rover K series Rover M 16 or t series all will produce 150bhp untuned and only have one exhaust manifold and well known roues to fitting to rwd cars??

Comment

Message originally posted by: Phil Haydon
        If anyone is interested I have the first YKC sierra based Roadster chassis built in 1995 which is fitted with a Rover SD1 V8. This was used as a company demonstrator and was driven by Don Burt at the Harewood hill climb. It was sold to a Cliff Barnes who raced it successfully in the 750 club series for a number of years.
        I have now just about got it ready to be driven on the Road.
        I agree with Robert Porter that it is simpler to fit a four cylinder engine but for me you can not beat the sound of a V8.

Comment

Phil has it there

I'd much prefer a lazy V8 with that lovely burble from dual exhausts that a high-revving, high power band that is a 4cyl (from my experience). I already have the Marina 1800 so "high" power would probably be easily found by putting a stage 2 head, suitable cam & 1.75" SU's or similar carbs, but well, it still aint a V8.

Thinking about it, it's probably a stupid idea as I have little mechanical experience (i.e. I bought the car and have learnt how to fix it is my knowledge of mechanics) so in reality it'll be easier to buy a V8 powered car rather than modifying mine too much!

Plus of course how much fun would it be to see other people's faces There's a what in there?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Pete Reynolds
            A friend has a V8 roadster, and when asked how it was in the wet/damp, his reply 'You need the touch of a midwife'

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
              I'm still looking into this, well was, and spotted this thread : http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=142838&f=30&h=0 interesting reading

Comment

Message originally posted by: Peter Brown
                Terry Coventry (Gloucestershire) put a Rover V8 in his trials Marlin years ago. Chucked out a Triumph 6. Although a factory option (apparently), the gentlemen at ACTC will not accept it in Class 7.

Comment

Interesting comments, however I have put the Rover V8 in a YKC LWB roadster In terms of "fit" it does without a great deal of alteration. E.G. Steering linkage re routed, engine mounts modified, gearbox mounting moved and modified and finally the side panels are now hinged, this is optional but gives better access for maintenance. The engine itself needs some attention in terms of length to enable the gear lever to sit in the original ford pinto/gear lever hole, this can be achieved by shortening the remote mechanism and cutting the excess thread from the water pump.

Now for the crunch, Having had a lot of work done on the engine e.g. crank ground, bores honed new rings, heads skimmed valves re seated, timing gears and chain etc etc Unfortunately, although it runs it is not burning all the fuel (massive excess of hydrocarbons) according to the tuning man, he suggested that it could be only the timing of the camshaft/crankshaft. It was put together according to the Haynes manual, lining up the centres, the dot and the hole in the camshaft gear, I have photo?s to prove it! Does anyone have details or experience of setting up the cam and crank, it does seem odd that the cam gear has a pointer on it outer edge which is about one tooth further round, however the Haynes manual clearly shows the hole to be the mark.

I?m of the road until I get it sorted can anyone help please
                  YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

I assume that the inlet/exhaust timing is equal about TDC, if so forget any marks on gears. Just set the No. 1 piston at TDC, one revolution before the points open, and with equal opening of the inlet and exhaust valves on that cyl.,fit the chain. That way the crank and camshaft are bound to be in the right position.

Comment

Hugh, thanks for the advice, could do with talking to you, would you be kind enough to send your telephone number to mturpin(at)eal.org.uk So I can give you a call, my telephone number is 0113 2941135.

Comment

WARNING ! the Haynes manual is wrong (ROVER 3500 1967 ? 1987) the diagram showing timing marks/hole is incorrect. As suspected the marks are dot on the crank gear and an arrow/pointer on the cam gear.

Comment

Working...
                        X