Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGB Engine & Gearbox Transplant For Roadster

Message originally posted by: Doug Campbell
    The engine is in with the front engine mounts bolted in place. The transmission tunnel has been widened to accomodate the B gearbox which is much bigger in size. Using the B gearbox mount position and fabricating a gearbox mounting frame similar to the Marina one and the Marina gearbox mounting rubber, the bottom of the frame extends below the line of the sump and could possibly foul the road. Does anybody have any ideas on how to overcome this.

Re: MGB Engine & Gearbox Transplant For Roadster

I am doing what you are, Doug, but clearly the builder of my Roadster did things differently from the original Marlin design. He put in a crossmember to take the Marina box mount, not hanging it on the tunnel. I have used a B crossmember with all the relevant bracketry and mounts, and bolted it up to plates and through the (metal )floorpan It is lower than my original, but certainly not lower than the sump. Sorry I can offer no immediate solution.

Comment

Doug - I have just checked the heights of my box/sump while altering the drivers floorpan during a wet afternoon of my Christmas holiday. My apologies. The bottom of the B crossmember supporting my box IS lower than the sump, but the box itself is about 4 inches above. I think that with the Marlin's generous ground clearance all will still be well unless you are a trials man. However, from what I have heard of your great country the access to many of your more interesting places would be like tough trials courses in the UK!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Doug Campbell
        Thanks Peter for the info. The B cross member is an option, but I think I shall still end up with the same clearance problems. I have decided to get a new hanger fabricated made out of 6mm plate. At least that way the clearance issue is minimised.

Comment

Working...
        X