Alternator for DHOC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator for DHOC

The alternator failed this weekend while travelling home from Cambridge on a gloriously sunny afternoon.

Can anyone help me identify a suitable replacement unit? I know the alternator is not the standard for the DOHC engine (physically smaller size?). The alternator I have has the reference GXE2211, but I haven’t been able to track this down. I have emailed a couple of reconditioning companies through their websites, but haven't had a reply yet. Can anyone give me any more information (alternative reference, or make and model of vehicle fitted to, etc) so I can source a replacement unit from a local motor spares shop/online?

Alternatively does anyone know a business doing alternator reconditioning in the Herts/Bucks area?

Thanks

Re: Alternator for DHOC

http://www.northwestminis.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4 36
    Have a look here

Comment

David,
      Depends on if you want a new shiny alternator, but I used one from a scrappy. As it mounts on the other side of the engine it requires to have the mounting lugs either rotated on the original or to get one with the other orientation.
      I broke mine when trying to rotate the lugs so I used a scrap-one.
      With the wide drive belt for the pulley you will find that a Serria Pinto alternator is a straight fitment though you will have to make a bracket for the belt tensioner. Some way down this forum is a thread about making the bracket.
      Chris

Comment

I too used a scrappy alternator, from a pinto-engined Sierra, it's quite a bit smaller than the DOHC model. It fits onto the LH side of the engine via a plate that Marlins supplied, and I made up an adjuster device to tension the belt. I've photo I can send that's too big to put on here, I can E-mail it direct if required.

Comment

Thanks for your replies - I managed to get a suitable replacement via www.universal.uk.com. Steve was very helpful, it was just a pity that the courier let the service down, although dispatched in time, didn't get to me until today. Still now fitted and working, so back on the road.

Comment

Working...
          X