Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space saver wheel - need one urgently

Guys
    Have been trying to obtain a 4-stud spare-wheel for my 1998 Hunter, as the original owner didn't opt for one - very strange!

From the space under the fibre-glass cover on the boot-lid, I concluded that only a space-saver would fit. It would also keep the weight down, and make it easier to access the boot. I think the axles etc are Sierra, but don't believe Ford space-savers were around then.

Most of the ones on eBay are for front-wheel drive motors, and I suspect they wont fit. Marlin factory doesn't appear to know the answer, and they made the car!

Has anybody got any ideas, please?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Space saver wheel - need one urgently

Hi Mike,
    My Cabrio has a space-saver wheel and tyre, as supplied by Marlin. I'll try to find the size for you (but I'm on hol next week) Alternatively, if you wanted to call in I'm only in Barton. Call me on 07702 339702
    Theo Thomas

Comment

Hi Mike
      I use a Fiesta wheel space saver - I got it from a scrapyard It fits the studs but may be a size smaller in diameter

Comment

Guys
        After a bit of ferreting around, long story short: I took the plunge and bought a Ford Focus 4-stud space-saver off eBay. It'll be coming from a modern scrap-yard at Luton (15 minutes up the road from me) so if I have any impossible problems I'll probably go back to them and see if I can swap it.

I'll put a follow-up to these messages, when I have got the wheel and tried it on my car.

Cheers
        Mike

Comment

Mike,
          Sorry to be a bit slow off the mark - been wallowing around in the Lake District.
          On my lwb ex demo Hunter, The tyres fitted are 195x65 15. The spare, which is marked for 50 mph max is a new 155R15 82T. It is fitted to a never used wheel with the following markings, 4JX15X45, Ford STAB-HB, 2150800, 115A5. This wheel is 5 stud to match the Sierra Hubs. Having said all that I hope that your Focus space saver fits

Comment

Tim
            Sierra's have 4 stud axles?
            Is your Hunter Scorpio based?
            Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,
              Mine has 4 stud sierra hubs
              But engine is Scorpio. 2.3 16V twim cam.
              My mistake in my previous posting, the spare is 4 stud, sorry

Comment

Guys
                Got a Ford Focus Space-saver 4-stud wheel via e-Bay. Found one relatively local to me at Luton in a modern scrappie. £20 + £9 carriage delivered to my door. Tyre is a Pirelli and has never been on the road.

It fitted straight away without any problems, on one of the axles and inside the spare-wheel cover. Job done. Am currently carrying around a small trolley-jack until I find something more compact and lighter.

Don't know what tyre pressure to use. The print on the tyre said max 60psi (and 80kph speed). So took the plunge and pumped it up to 40psi. Only meant as a get-u-home spare.

Cheers
                Mike

Comment

Sounds like the tyre is for a trailer such as sheep/cattle for Ifor Williams etc as that pressure is marked on our tyres for trailers we have.Regards Liz

Comment

Working...
                  X