Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice wanted in drilling holes in hardened metal

Guys
    Getting my two-pennyworth at the moment with messages. I am in trouble with trying to drill through what I think is hardened metal.

The interior mirror that was fitted to my newly-bought Hunter was a naff plastic thing, that vibrated all over the place. Rather than buy another stick-on mirror, I went for a classic style of screw-on type. All that was needed was to drill 2 holes in the windscreen surround, pop in some self-tappers, and Bob's your uncle.

Like a lot of 5 minute jobs, I spent about half an hour getting nowhere. Tried several drill-bits (freshly sharpened), also a smear of oil (sometimes works), but all I succeeded in doing was putting a tiny dimple in the window surround.

Questions:
    1) Is the window surround hardened metal? (mine is the shiny chrome-finish type).
    2) Am I trying to do the impossible with amateur equipment?
    3) Is there a way forward, or do I bite the bullet and go for a stick-on mirror?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Advice wanted in drilling holes in hardened metal

Hi Mike, pleased you have got a new car, not to teach you how to suck eggs but are you using the correct HSS drill and is it sharpened in the right way ?
    Any chance of some photos of the car ???

Comment

The screen surround is stainless steel.

Comment

As Danny says the surround is Stainless Steel. This metal work hardens as soon as you put a drill near it. Usual mistake is to use a high speed (r.p.m). Whet you need is a very high feed (ie push hard) and a very slow speed and a very sharp cutting tool (drill bit) when drilling this stuff. Also some cutting fluid designed for the job. Oil is a lubricant so will tend to make the drill skate over the metal. Paraffin would be a better choice if nothing else available. The bad news is you already have a work hardened "hole" where you started drilling. Use a Dremel or similar with a fine grinding point to cut through that hardened layer, otherwise you will just wear out drill bits. Final thought though. The screen frame is designed as a roll over bar. Any holes drilled in it, however small, will be a potential source of weakness. Peter.

Comment

Hi Mike
          Just a couple of points to consider. The reason for using a stick on mirror, is for safety, so that in an accident when you bang your head on it, it breaks away - a screwed on mirror would not pass IVA. Secondly, you will need a long stalk on the mirror to see out of it with the hood up - I've recently moved my stick on mirror lower down the screen for this reason (hood down no problem).
          Cheers - Dave

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the hardening from your attempts so far, the answer is to use a drill bit that is designed to handle stainless. You need to go for drill bits with cobalt heads, machine mart do a full set from 2mm up to 10mm for about £22. I have used these extensivly for stainless with no problems, you only really need lubricsnt if you are trying to countersink or use very large drill sizes.

John

Comment

Thanks Guys
              I did try various drill-bits in my collection, all sharpened and HHS. Even contemplated buying a cobalt set from Screwfix, John.

In the end, Stafford Vehicle Components (who sold me the screw-on type) were happy to do an exchange for a stick-on mirror. So, it should arrive in the post today with any luck. Why I didn't go down the stick-on route in the first place is anybody's guess!

Cheers
              Mike

Comment

Working...
              X