Wheel sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel sizes

Hi all, newbie to Marlin here, just bought the 5Exi-R ex-demonstrator!!
    At present it has 195/50/15 tyres which with the Honda gearbox give it quite a low gearing as the Type R has 205/45/17's, I believe.
    I will probably keep the fronts the same but I 'm wondering what size tyres any of you have fitted that are larger than 15's. My main concern obviously is fouling the wheel arch but looking at the clearance I think I can get away with up to 215/50/16 ( that is a 4.5cm greater diameter)That tyre size is very close in rolling radius terms to the 205/45/17's. I want to fit Toyo R888's so a 195/50/15 front and 215/50/16 rear combination would be perfect - if the rears will fit!! Cheers Alan
    Attached Files

Re: Wheel sizes

Hi Alan

Drop Steve Chaney a line on [email protected]. As the 5EXi rep he should be able to advise.

Welcome to Marlin!

Regards

Sue

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Sue. Will drop Steve an e-mail

Comment

After a time spent at my very helpful local tyre place I can just about answer my own question! 195/50/16's fit fine on the back but anything with a greater diameter will be a problem. Front and back of the arch is ok but the top will rub with hard cornering. So the solution if I want more rubber on the rear is to modify the wheel arch, which may well happen over the next few months!

Comment

The car has been back to Marlin for some "body mods" and 4 pot calipers! I've finally settled on 195/50/15 fronts and 225/45/16 rears for the R888's and 215/45/15 and 225/45/16 for the T1-R's. With an increase to nearly -2 deg camber on the rears and a little bit shaved off the arches the rears fit very nicely and filling the arch look much more agressive. The rears give almost the same circumference as the 205/45/17's on the CTR. Will put some photos on here soon with the new wheels.

Comment

Working...
          X