Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter motor problem

Guys
    Only had my Hunter a few weeks, and another problem has cropped up! The joys of.........!!

When I try to start the engine from cold, on turning the ignition key I get a click and nothing else - solenoid? After 3 or 4 clicks, the engine starts. With a hot engine, it is more likely that the engine will start with a first turn of the key.

The engine is a 1998 Ford Sierra 2 litre DOHC injection, which in 11 years has only done 9,000 miles. Can't be worn out - so must just be a function of age. All my local village garage can offer is for them to fit an exchange one at about £100 + labour - ouch!

I assume if I get the car up on DIY ramps, I will be able to see it? Will it come off easily with me laying on my back on a trolley?

Assuming it is not a simple wiring connection problem, then what? Clean up something?

Your help would be appreciated once again.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Starter motor problem

Mike,

Most likely the solenoid or the connections to it.

There will be two wires to the starter motor which should be on the nearside of the engine, accessible from underneath. It will be held on with (i think 3) 17MM AF bolts.
    The thin wire goes to the ignition and is used to energise the solinoid, and the thick wire goes to the battery.

Things to check
    1) The thin wire is making good electrical contact.
    2) Same goes for the thick wire, but before you disconnect it to clean the connection disconnect the battery!
    3) check the thick wire makes good contact with the battery.
    4) check that there is an decent earth wire that goes from the engine block either to the chassis or directly to battery.

There's not much servicing you can do to the starter motor, what there is is covered in a Serria Haynes manual.

A decent scrap yard should be able to supply you with a replacement for about £30-£50.

Its not too difficult to remove, though you may need some grunt to undo the bolts they should be done up to 32 ft/lb.

Loads of info on this site about the DOHC engine http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/engdata8v.htm (Thanks to Cameron in the Roadster forum)

Comment

Mike,
      Because your car has been stood a while the terminals may well have corrosion on them, take the wires off one at a time and clean them, I've had this happen and it worked for me, also check and see if you have a good earth from engine to chassis. Its worth a try.
      Terry

Comment

Mike
        Make sure your battery is up to scratch. Try charging it fully and see if the problem goes away. If it does, the battery may be past its best (ie not holding a full charge for any length of time). The other possibility is you're getting a voltage drop, and while the battery can throw the solenoid (the click), it can't turn the starter. This could be down to corroded terminals (see other replies).

I went thru' all this on my V8 Cabrio, and was still having problems. My sparkie fixed it by putting a relay right next to the starter motor to reduce the voltage drop on the main wire. The starter takes a bigger current than any other item on the car, so turn off all other electrical items (esp rear screen heater - what do you mean you haven't got one?!!)
        Cheers - Dave

Comment

Working...
        X