Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor pickup from low revs

Hi Guys
    I want to correct a fault ont the fuel injection of my Hunter, and don't want to visit a tune-up shop at great expense if I can avoid it. The engine is a Ford 2 litre DOHC 1998 vintage, with only 9,600miles to its credit. Don't know any more than that about it.

Would welcome any ideas on the following: at round 1000-1500 rpm in say third gear, pressing the accelerator reasonably hard can cause a hesitancy of the engine and slight jerking of the transmission. Once above 1500 rpm, it goes as sweet as a nut. Never any problem with starting the engine either (apart from a lazy starter solenoid - on the future jobs list)

Also (possibly the same fault) when manouvering the car at the same sort of revs in first gear up a slight gradient, there is a lot of vibration through the bodywork.

Is this something a DIY guy can tackle? I have been used to the quirks of carburettors for some years, but fuel injection is a bit of an unknown science in my book.

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Poor pickup from low revs

Hi Mike. I bought a plug-in diagnostic tester for the Ford EEC1V ECU (which I assume you have fitted) and it proved invaluable in identifying a couple of faults with the engine management when I built my Cabrio. The device will check current and recorded faults at engine off and running, as well as a 'wiggle' test - which is where I identified an internally broken wire to the throttle position sensor. I would recommend trying one on your car to identify a fault. There's lots of info on the web, too abour EEC1V fault codes, what they mean and the implications of them, too.

Comment

Hi Theo
      The plug-in diagnostic tester sounds a good idea. Don't know anything about it (or the 'Wiggle' test!) Did do a quick search on Google, but nothing jumped off the screen at me. Have you got any more info, please?

Cheers
      Mike

Comment

Mike, It's a Gunson's Fault Finder for Ford 3-Pin ECUs, Part No. 4152. (www.gunson.co.uk) I'm sure I bought mine at a Halfords somewhere. It's a little tricky sorting out the flashing light output codes, but once understood, I've found it surprisingly informative and accurate!

Theo

Comment

Thanks Theo
          I'll check out their web-site and see what my local Halfords has to offer.

Mike

Comment

Hi, I obtained my fault finder on ebay. They included the Haynes fault code manual too.
            Mike, have you tried the obvious checks such as cleaning the AFM and checking for air leaks betwwen it and the throttle body.
            I very recently suffered from poor cruising performance. Upon checking the TPS I found a black hole in the resistance. A good local factor obtained a new one for me the next day. Once installed the performance is now superb. I have the 2.1 EFi pinto but the my type of EEC IV computer is very similar to yours.
            Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Sorry guys. I seem to be hanig tribble woth my worms.

Comment

Dane
                Being an ex-carburettor man, I don't know what AFM stands for. If there was a Haynes Manual that covered my car I would buy it. I guess Mondeo would be the nearest. Would be grateful for any Idiot's Guide stuff you might be able to pass my way!

Cheers
                Mike

Comment

Mike,
                  What engine is in your car? I thought it was Sierra 2l DOHC with fuel injection. If so you need the Haynes Sierra manual. If it is a Zetec the you may get some info from Mondeo manual. It so happens I've a spare Mondeo manual, so if you want it let me know.

Comment

Mike, The Ford engines initially used a vane type Air Flow Meter which was later replaced by a hot wire Air Mass Meter. They both do the same job and benefit from cleaning. The vane type AFM suffered from worn tracks on the potentiometer which could cause a variety of symptoms. I renewed the tracks in mine before running the refurbished engine. The later hot wire AMM can't be fixed and would need replacement if playing up. Cleaning the hot wire sensor (very carefully) can improve the operation.

The vane type is a large chunk of aluminium with a chequerboard pattern on one side with a plastic cover on the other. It has a quarted circle appearance. The AMM appears to be just a plastic tube inserted in the inlet trunk. Both have one socket for the lecky stuff.
                    An easy way to find out faults is to borrow the previously mentioned fault finder which can give a good indication of which sensor is playing up.
                    The DOHC 2.0 litre engine would be in the Sierra or Scorpio which use a very similar system to my SOHC 2.1 litre EFi. I have manuals for both car types. If it is the Zetec type then I can't help.
                    When I rebuilt my engine I was a dyed in the wool Carb man. I went for the EFi just to see what it was like. It is pretty straight forward and you will soon come to grips with it.
                    Good luck !!

Comment

Guys
                      I am unsure as to the precise engine spec in my Hunter. It was the standard DOC 420i fitted new by the factory in 1998. I have a copy of the factory spec, which talks about the Max Power of 88kW (my conversion to 118 bhp?)(at) 5500rpm, and Max Torque of 171Nm (at) 2500rpm.

In terms of the fuel system, the details are kept simple: electronically controlled with electro-mechanical fuel injectors. There is no mention of an ECU, like I have just replaced on my Skodia Octavia. I cannot see a 'brain' anywhere under the bonnet - I have attached (hopefully) 2 pics of under-bonnet views - does this help? There is no distributor, and the coil is the siamese solid-state job you can see in one of the photos. How does this work? When & what controls the timing of the sparks?

So does the above help any? I did try the factory for more info, but the husband & wife team seem reluctant or unable to answer many of my questions, so just a blank there. I would have bought a Haynes manual, but was totally unsure which to go for.

Cheers
                      Mike
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike,
                        That looks very much like the 2.0l DOHC engine from Sierra/Granada. There were 3 variants, a carbed version, and two injection versions and by the sound of your output yours is the first variant.

The ECU should be a black box about 6inches square and 1 inch deep. It will have a multi plug connector in it with wires leading to the coil pack, crankshaft engine sensor, and temperature sensors and two wires into the rest of the wiring loom, ignition and tacho output.

The Haynes Sierra manual covers this engine.

Comment

Mike
                          Sorry to disagree with Chris, but from your pictures this engine is either a 16v 2.0 litre Ford code N3A or the 16V 2.3 Ford code Y5A/Y5B. Both were only fitted to Scorpio or Galaxy and definitely not Sierra. The 8V Sierra engine looks totally different and has the Ford code N9A. It was my understanding that Marlin liked to fit the 2.3 to the Hunter models as standard. Marlin usually position the brain on the L.H.S of the passenger foot well underneath the carpet.
                          If you want to buy a Haynes manual I would suggest a Scorpio manual.
                          Also lots of info at:
                          http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/engdata16v.htm

Peter

Comment

Yes Peter, you are probably correct. The pictures on this page help identify the engine if you look at the rocker cover design http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/technical.htm

Comment

Thanks Guys, however from the Scorpio pics it looks like my engine is an 8 valve, yet I naively thought I had a 16 valve. It is certainly a 2 litre as invoiced by Marlin. Don't want to run to the trouble of unbolting the rocker cover to find out! Must be a way of checking with a Ford list, but I haven't found the engine number yet to follow this thought. Any ideas?

I have just found an address for a local tune-up shop only a few miles from me. I might just pay them a visit on a dry day and see what they can offer. I think this is an area where I can spend ages chasing around getting nowhere, when an expert might be able to finger the problem in half an hour. I will report back on the forum how I get on.

Cheers
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X