Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pumps

Message originally posted by: Clive Harris
    Does any body know of a source for mechanical fuel pumps to fit a 1700cc Ital engine - SU HIF 6 or failing that would it be possible to fit an electric pump?

Re: Fuel Pumps

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    No idea where to get the Ital mechanical fuel pump - can you not service the one you already have?

Fitting an electric, facet styled, pump shouldn't be too difficult - about an hours work or so. Most of the pumps mount near the tank to "send" the fuel rather than pull it through so thats a consideration (also the extra whirring noise behind you). To power it you'll need to run wires and a relay powered off an inverse of the oil pressure light (so that if the engine stalls/dies you don't continue to push fuel through). At the engine end you can remove the mechanical pump (and put a blanking plate on) and put a fuel filter in between the two petrol pipes. Similiarly you'll need a fuel filter between the pump and tank.

Plently of places sell the electric pumps, try demon tweaks, merlin-motorsport for starters. Look for red-top Facet pumps

Apparently, adding the electric pump helps get rid of fuel pressure problems and ultimately "vapour lock" (if you are getting it). It's on my list of mods to do!

Comment

I fitted a bog standard Mini type diaphragm pump at the tank, underneath, between the tank and the axle. It's lasted 15+years without a problem and has fed the 1800 lump in much modified form and then for the last 4 years a Fiat twin cam 2litre producing 150bhp without bother. The flow rate from it is theoretically OK for about 200+HP. It's fed through an inline plastic filter from the tank and then straight to twin 45 Del'Orto's
      Hope this puts your mind at rest about using a cheap simple pump.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don Sayers
        listed on Quinton Hazell/Moprod as part number FP81. OE part No azx1821. Any good motor factor should be able to get it.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Clive Harris
          Many thanks for your replies, my local motor factor G B Auto's of Roundhay Road Leeds have found a pump and are getting it from Quinton Hazell hopefully it will be here by Monday next and we should be ready for action by mid week but I am still looking to fit an electric pump so that the fuel surge will diminish.

Comment

Clive, I have just fitted an electric fuel pump, not a big job. If you want to contact me I am also in Leeds, you can contact me at mturpin(at)eal.org.uk
            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Working...
            X