Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twitchy Steering

Message originally posted by: Gordon Thompson
    I've had my SWB Marina 1800 based Roadster for a little over two years and though I've improved it by putting decent tyres on it, tightening the wheel bearings and stiffening up the chassis with a gearbox support cross member, the steering is twitchy about the centre at speed. However, the steering is also quite heavy and doesn't self centre easily. Have I got two issues here: one of incorrect camber angle and two of incorrect offset?

Re: Twitchy Steering

Hi Gordon, you have the same problem I had. I cured it by fitting ball ended tie rod to the front so that I could alter the caster angle from the origional Marina 2deg. to the earlier Marina 5deg. Toein also wants to be at the max recommended. This has made all the difference and now there is a good self centering action and the steering is lighter and much less twitchy. Drawings and a writeup with some pics. were in the Dec/Jan 05 issue of the mag. Hope this has been of use. Hugh.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Gordon Thompson
      Thanks Hugh. It was your article that got me thinking about this problem. Do you have any idea what the toe-in/tracking needs to be set at? Does this mean that I don't have an offset problem as well?

Comment

I don't think you have an offset problem unless your tyre clears the upright by much more than 1/4" I had to put a 3/16" spacer in to get some clearance when I built mine. My toein at present is 2mm measured at the wheel rim and doesn't appear to be causing any untoward tyre scuff, or at least I can't tell over that caused by my driving!

Comment

Hi Gordon, I should have mentioned that I'm on 185/70 tyres on 51/2" Allycats, so depending on your tyres and wheels the gap to your uprights may be different. Hope this has been of some help, Hugh.

Comment

Factory spec for the Marina 1.8 was (I think) 1.5-2mm toe-in. Had mine reset last year as tyre-scrub was evident. Turned out they were toeing out 3mm...that plus superflex tie rod bushes seems to have improved matters somewhat.
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Working...
            X