Ignition Coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition Coil

I have just won a brand new gold coil on ebay an the instruction say "must" be used with a ballast resistor, I am still using original wiring and 1300 engine, can i get away without fitting the resistor and if not how should it be wired in.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Re: Ignition Coil

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC, Editor)
    Hi Chris, I had a new coil on my Berli and without the ballast resistor it simply would not behave. You can easily obtain a ballast resister from Premier Wiring or equivalent. Check out http://www.premierwiring.com/ They are extremely helpful and you can call for advice. I can't remember how much the resistor was but it wasn't expensive.

Comment

Message originally posted by: CLive Harris
      Ballast Resistor about ?6.00 to ?7.00 from any good auto shop. To wire go from ignition switch to Ballast resistor then out to LT side of coil should then work. It is also shown in the wiring diagrams of the Morris Ital Hayne's Manual Good Luck

Comment

Hi Clive,
        Which manual is the wiring diagram in? the 1.3 or 1.7/2.0 as there are two types on ebay. I am after complete wiring diagrams as it is in a real mess. I have only just bought a Marlin Roadster and the motor is at the shop. There is no interior. I'm just more worried about the wiring. Do you know which ballast resistor? Any help on the wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated. I have just signed up here and due to pay for membership this week coming.

Comment

Hi Karl, you say you have no interior have you seen these on Ebay Item number: 270833193054

Comment

Hi Again Karl, I have put a few items on ebay that you might be missing. Item number: 330626851827 Item number: 330626857015 Item number: 330626860605 and Item number: 330626871694, good luck.

Comment

There are only a few different circuits. It will depend on the age and type of the donor car. Not all cars were fitted with ballast resistors, mostly only those built for colder climates.
              Do you have any info about the donor, is it Alternator or Dynamo, how many fuses are in the fuse box?

I published a generic wiring diagram in the 'Nearly Stolen' thread, http://marlinownersclub.com/forum.php?read=18640&cat=0#n18650
              MOC member since 05/97
              1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
              1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
              Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. The dash is all there apart from the steering. I have got all switches, gauges. I just bought a steering wheel and boss and a new wiper switch and mini upper bush. Even bought one of those new petrol tanks on ebay for 270832107419 really expensive. The seats look good to re-upholster.

I think the donar car was a Marina as the motor is a 1.8 tc 5 bearing. It is an alternator and it has two fuses. I think i need to start at the coil type and the distributor.

I am stuck at the moment on choosing a new camshaft? Does the MGB camshaft fit the 1.8tc Marina's? I saw one on http://www.mgbhive.co.uk/engines.html for £99.00 (new) although when i phoned them up they were not sure if it would fit 100%

thanks

Comment

Thanks for the wiring diagram. i'm sure it will help.

Comment

My understanding is that not all MGB cam shafts have the extra lobe for the mechanical fuel pump. Otherwise all the usual conditions for cam swaps, followers, pushrods, rockers and springs need looking at, not to mention leaving enough room in the combustion chamber for valve movement. Peter Burgess' book on tuning MGB's has all the info.

Of course the mechanical fuel pump can be replaced with an electric one.
                    MOC member since 05/97
                    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
                    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
                    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Working...
                    X