silencer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• silencer

My silencer has just fallen off. Rotted from the inside. Anybody got one for sale??? Please.
    Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
    - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Re: silencer

Hi Jez,
    I have had similar problems, I cut off the pipework where it entered the silencer and used a cherry bomb silencer from tne local boy racer shop, I used a standard u exhaust bracket with a rubber mini mount which mounted on the rear mount.

I have got a new mg metro front silencer it would be loud!

If you want some photos of the mounts let me know.

I Have also just had a free flow manifold "cut and shut" which makes a big difference.

Comment

I've got an oval backbox from a Ford Transit on mine. To prolong the life drill two small holes on the underside at each end to let the acidic water out. As you say they rot from the inside and this helps no end.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
        www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk sell generic silencers, one of which looks like the ones we have.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Malcolm Sherratt
          i have got a peco straight through you can buy. it was fitted to my berli when I bought it i think it would be the one originally from Marlin, i have changed the engine, so it has hardly been.

Comment

Thanks for your advice guys. I was hoping that someone might have an original Marlin item so that I can do a straight swap without having to modify anything. Guess I will have to call YKC.
            Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
            - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

I had a straight through chrome cherry bomb type silencer it was under the off side running board, my roadster has a triumph six, the droning noise drove me round the bend.
              whilst at a car boot I picked up a Honda Fireblade exhaust for a fiver, my engine may be twice the capacity but runs at half the revs. The car sounds sweet and no longer gives me a headache !!!.

Comment

On the subject of bike silceners, there was a fella with a 1.8sc roadster on last years Lakes Invasion (I completely forget his name, sorry) and it had the most extra-ordinary sound I've ever heard!

Comment

Working...
                X