Sportster Dimensions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sportster Dimensions

Hi, Could someone let me know the rough length and width of a sportster rolling chassis?

I'm hoping to start a sportster build before the end of the year. At the moment I'm trying to move house to get one with a garage so understanding the dimensions will help me decide whether the garages I'm looking at will be big enough. Some modern houses have sorry excuses but I've found a few with 9' wide which I should imagine is a start

thanks

Re: Sportster Dimensions

From the marlincars web site

Overall Specification of car
    circa 850kg
    Overall Length: 3650
    Overall Width: 1650
    Track width: 1625

Build clearances are something of a personal preference. It would be a pain to move a bare chassis without it being mounted on castor wheeled dollys. That way the chassis can be moved side to side quite quickly.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

I did find those measurements afterwards on their website but even then 1625 seemed narrow when looking at it with a tape measure. I've moved now and the garage doors are about 2400mm with about another 300 width once you get inside so that should be do-able if not the most comfortable environment. length is more than enough so I should be able to keep the sides free of clutter and store parts in a garden shed

Comment

I built mine in a "standard" single garage. About 8' 6" wide. The trick is not to fit the wheels and wings till you have to - the car is reasonably narrow until you do. I stored all the "body parts" in a small shed which I set aside just for that purpose.

I had no problems with space at all.

Robin

Comment

I have a pair of castor wheeled dollies left over from my own build. Actually the castor wheeled bit is a bit of a misnomer as I think that such may need to be replaced. However they are available free of charge if anyone cares to collect them from just North of Ashbourne on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border.

Comment

Working...
          X