Marina Axle Parts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marina Axle Parts.

I've mentioned here before that Moss Bros of Bristol have an online TR7 catalogue in which the early 4 speed axle illustrated in Fig 52 bears an uncanny resemblance to the Marina axle and diff. I tested the resemblance a bit further today when I bought from them the pinion front oil seal, P/N in their catalogue DM5079 as a replacement for the worn one in a Marina 1.8 diff which I am about to swap for the knackered diff. in my axle. The seal is identical in size - a modern version of the old Marina one. I suspect that if anyone needs them the axle hub seals for the TR7 axle would also be a direct swap for the Marina ones.

Peter

Re: Marina Axle Parts.

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    Wasn't the TR7 axle the same as that used on the Marina?

I'm fairly sure the rear axle on an MBG features a stronger diff but has a different stud pattern on the hubs. The TR7, Marina and another BL car feature the same, Ford stub patterned rear axle. For increased power load (i.e. you are running a V8 or similar) you need to change to a 2.8lt Capri rear axle if memory serves as well.

I'm actually wondering how much power a Marina rear diff can take in truth, I'm thinking about suitable power upgrades in the future

Comment

>Wasn't the TR7 axle the same as that used on the Marina?

It certainly looks the same in the catalogue at www.moss-europe.co.uk except for the bracketry for the anti roll bar and panhard links.
      I guess the Marina diff was designed for about 70 HP and 100ft lb of torque whereas my Fiat 2L TC is putting somewhere near double that through it which probably explains why they don't last too long!
      Do you know if the MGB axle or the Capri axle are the same width as the Marina? the hubs could be re drilled but changing the track width would be difficult.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
        As I understand it, the axles are the same width as when I was looking into putting a V8 up front it was suggested that the Capri axle was needed on the rear - no-one mentioned changing the body. One assumes suspension details would be different however.

As a side note, was putting the Alfa/Fiat engine in difficult? With regard to the axle - whats the situation with the DVLA coming after you?

I'm looking for a power upgrade in the future and collecting information you see Thanks

Comment

I beleive the capri axle was quoted some years back in pitstop as being one inch wider than the marina

Comment

Stefan,

With the YKC engine and gearbox mounts fitting the Fiat engine was a cinch, had to make up the Fiat gearbox to Marina propshaft adapter from the Roadster Technical Tips though, made it in stainless on my Myford; took about 2 weeks and produced dustbins full of swarf!
            If you mean the DVLA might be interested if I changed axles to an MGB or Capri one then I guess they would "need to be told", as a modification to the spec. but doubt it would go further than that.

Comment

On the subject of how much power will a marina /ital axle take,in Chris Rees's book on the Lotust 7 Caterham considered the maximum to be 150bhp.
              Their live axled [marina] Supersprint1700 produced 135bhp with 120ft lbs of torque
              If you consider that the early Rover 3.5 V8 produced 130bhp but had 185 ft lbs torque then you start to get the picture as to why a stronger axle was neccessary in V8's.Forget [upto a point] bhp figures,it's the torque that counts!!!

Comment

To help with the original question. The Marina saloon, Dolomite (not Sprint) and TR7 4 speed, all used the same basic axle and parts (except some Triumph halfshafts are different but will fit). You are right to say the brackets are different.

The Marina 10 cwt van is totally different and has all the same bearings and diffs as MGA & Early MGB (so called 'banjo axle'). It has different wheel PCDs entirely and will require matching front hubs if fitted unless you want different wheels front a rear.

130bhp and 130 lbs/ft torque is probably about as far as a Marina/Ital axle will go in the long run. However the 5 speed TR7 is a cut down Rover SD1 unit so should handle V8 power and the Dolly Sprint unit is a cut down Triumph unit with the diff from the Triumph 2000/2.5 PI so again stronger. Both of these should keep the standard width and would make suitable high power replacements, with suitable mods to the suspension mounts. The Dolly Sprint and TR7 wheel studs are usually 7/16" rather than Marina 3/8", except for some early Dolly Sprints (check before buying).

Quaiffe list an LSD for the Marina/Dolly (non Sprint) and TR7 (4 speed diff) and Gripper list an LSD for the Banjo Axle.

Lots of choices.

Chris

Comment

Working...
                X