Prop shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop shaft

Can anyone recommend a company to shorten my prop shaft (or supply new one), preferably in the south?
    Anyone DIY'd it?

Rob

Re: Prop shaft

try www.autopropuk.co.uk

Comment

Propshaft Services 0208 844 2265/7 (Feltham Middx) They can shorten, balance or make you a new one. DIY? bit tricky IMHO.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I'll try both of them.

Comment

Hi Rob
          Get your hacksaw out

Comment

DIY is the option I have taken on two occasions (Ford Sierra & Rover V8 ) both were successful requiring no further balancing. This can only be achieved if you have a lathe big enough to machine the cut ends true and manufacture a mandrill with a centre step to support the two half?s whilst MIG welding together
            YKC 1994 Roadster LWB 3.5 Rover V8

Comment

Message originally posted by: Jim Mountain
              Hi Rob,
              try Reco-prop, there very good and can modifiy or supply new, there based in Luton, Beds.

Comment

Encouraged by Michaels comments and Ians hacksaw challenge I had a go at this myself. Armed only with a hacksaw and a file I managed to remove the 'bung' from one end, clean it up and then refit it to the shortened shaft. The difficult bit was getting the end of the tube square and refitting the bung square to it. The last picture is before tapping in the bung and welding it up. I've only tested it up to about 40mph so far so I can't tell how well balanced it is but, figures crossed, so far so good.

Comment

Working...
                X