Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Exhaust Pipe

Message originally posted by: Iain Wilkinson
    I've only recently purchased my Berlinetta and I'm already fed up with the current exhaust banging on the bottom of the car and making my teeth rattle. I'm thinking about fitting a side exhaust as seen on many Roadsters and was wondering if anyone else has carried out a similar modification?

The main problem, as far as I can see, would be the heat from the exhaust having a detrimental effect (i.e. melting) the runner board, even if I could squeeze some sort of heat shield between them. Do the Roadsters have a greater depth between the bottom of the chassis rail and the runner board which allows them to mount side pipes easily?

If anyone has fitted a side pipe I would be very grateful if they could provide some advice (pictures if possible, he said, pushing his luck).

My e-mail address is iain(at)iainandshelly.co.uk.

Lastly, apologies if this is an old thread, or the subject has been dealt with before, but I've been looking forward to getting a Marlin for a while now and don't want to break it;-)

Re: Side Exhaust Pipe

Hi Iain,

Don't apologise as a lot of the info was in "pitstop" many years ago which you will not have seen. I got my system (for a 2 Litre)Pinto from YKC. They do not think that any heat shield is neccessary and I have had no problems yet. I did wrap the exhaust inside the engine compartment and for about 250mm outside the valance with propriety exhaust wrap. The side exhaust was worth doing as I have left a couple of systems behind on rough kerbs etc. You will suffer from more exhaust noise when cruising though!
    I will try get a photo off tomorrow.

Cheers.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Hi Dane

Many thanks for the reply, look forward to seeing the photos. I'll get in touch with YKC see what they can offer and at what price. I think I'll be able to cope with the increased exhaust noise ;-)

Regards.

Iain

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
        be careful with putting exhaust wrap on cast iron - it causes heat spots which cause fractures. The stuff to put on cast iron is a "heat blanket" which wraps around the entire header, not the induvidual pipes.

The Roadster's don't have any heatsheilds as standard.

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have some grainy pix of the YKC Sidepipe. It is looking a little blued now but does not give a heat problem anywhere else.
          You sre quite correct Stefan, I have not lagged the Sierra Manifold in any way.
          Due to the position of a wiring loom, Brake pipe and coolant pipe, I modded in an extra rail to lift them all to a new position well away from the exhaust and just in case, I lagged the hot pipe as it passes about 200mm below.

Cheers,
          Dane.

Comment

Oh, And another one.

Are you all bored yet?

DC

Comment

Many thanks for the advice guys and for taking the time to reply. BTW Dane, did you ever serve in the RAF? I knew a Dane Crosby at RAF Brawdy many years ago.

Regards.

Iain

Comment

AArgh .... I have been found out at last.
                Yes Iain, it's me - Brawdy 88 - 92. (was moved on to Boulmer after the 593 incident!)

I retired last week and now seem to work full time for Cheryl!

Cheers,

Comment

Well well, what a small world. Hope you are enjoying your retirement so far :-) I was released, (escaped), about a year and a half ago. Still, we shouldn't turn this in to a reunion forum, but if you are attending any Marlin type events let me know and maybe we can meet up and swing the lamp ;-) iain(at)iainandshelly.co.uk

Happy motoring and take it easy.

Regards.

Iain

Comment

Hi Dane,
                    Just browsing as I have modified my Berlinetta in a similar way and was interested in your radiator expansion tank and winscreen was bottle.

And for Ian, I glued in some heat shield under the running board, just in case, which now just feels warm.

Roger

Comment

Dane,
                      its me again, I am sure I asked you what make/model they came from as mine are well past their sell by date.

Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

The Rad tank is a pressurised one which has allowed me to move my Rad 50mm forward and up - thus being unable to gain access to the rad cap itself. The Rad is a twin row type as sold by Robin Hood. The header tank came from a breakers yard and is off a Ford Ka saloon. I made up some mounts for it out of ally. Nick the pipework from the Ka as well which can then be modified to fit in with the Berli system.

The washer bottle is one of the nice compact (but SVA acceptable) types from Europa.

I may fit some heat shielding above the silencer as I am still a bit nervous about heat in the wrong places!

Cheers for now,
                        Dane.

Comment

Hi Dane,
                          Thanks for your reply. Regarding the radiator overflow tank. Do you have the single over head cam 2L Pinto engine? Is the overflow tankd capacity sufficient to deal with the water expansion?

Cheers Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

I have had no problems at all. It trook a while to bleed all the air out of the new system but all seems fine now. I fitted a thermostatic fan and removed the engine driven device which has allowed finer control of the coolant temp.

Yup, I still have my old SOHC 2.0 pinto gurgling away under the bonnet. I would like to fit a newer engine but at the moment all my time is taken up keeping my MF35X running!

Cheers for now,

Dane.

Comment

Going back to side-exit exhausts, can anyone recommend a single box that'll give reasonable muffling when used on its own? I certainly wouldn't mind (ie: would welcome!) a nice burble, but would want to avoid a numbing drone at all costs. (On a 2l Pinto).
                              I am hoping to make up a stainless steel system using pre-formed elbows and perhaps even a flexible section. Any other hints/advice would also be welcome. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X