Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Starving

Message originally posted by: Marcus
    I have an 1800 Marina SWB roadster I got last year, and found that when I took the car for a long spin especially in warmer weather, and anywhere near a hill that the fuel cuts out, I have to make sure the car is facing downhill and let it cool down for a while before being able to restart the engine, it appears the engine gets rather on the warm side quickly, it's supposed to run on 4star, but as i haven't been able to find any locally have been running it on super unleaded with castrols lead free additive and octane boost. When i've been driving hard there is often a touch of pre-ignition on turning the engine off. I'm on a steep learning curve with this so apologies if I've missed anything obvious. Marcus

Re: Fuel Starving

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    What you are getting is vapour lock, thats where the heat of the exhaust etc is essentially boiling the fuel and starving the engine. There are plenty of fixes, and google lists thousands of ideas (it's a common problem), but the most common is to replace the mechanical fuel pump with an electric item.

Mine is meant to have those problems as well (the previous owner told me it would), but it's fine. Mines running on a conversion to unleaded with suitable heatshield & spacers (which were the root of my "no-airfilters" problem), but I've never experienced Vapour lock.

Comment

Common problem with 1300 engines,rectified by separating the inlet manifold from the exhaust[combined unit,the exhaust providing a 'hot' spot]

Comment

re the fuel problem i had similar symptoms recently fuel starvation under load my problem turned out to be blocked fuel filters. Under load not enough fuel was getting to the carbs and when the bowl was dry the vehicle stuttereth !!

Comment

Working...
        X