Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo

Message originally posted by: Nick Steele
    I have a Marina MkII 1800 SWB suffering from lack of stopping power. Pretty sure it is the servo, but cannot find a replacement anywhere. Anyone have a secret supply

Re: Servo

To test the servo try out the brakes while coasting down a small incline with the engine off (a downhill drive is useful). Then try it with the engine on...there should be a noticeable difference in effort required on the pedal. You can also tell by holding down the brake pedal while starting the engine - you should feel the pedal depress slightly.

That said, the servo doesn't actually increase the overall braking effort, it just makes it a bit easier on the driver's foot to apply the pressure.

Check all the cylinders/seals, check whether pads & shoes are glazed, bleed through with fresh fluid etc etc.

I've just renewed my pads/shoes and on inspection the old linings were heavily glazed. With new Greenstuff front pads the feel of the brakes is vastly improved.

As for a new servo there was one on eBay a few days ago..! Also try a firm called Norton Classic Servos...I haven't got the number to hand but they advertise in the various classic mags.
    Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
    Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
      I'll agree with Jez there - green stuff pads (I got mine from NeedForSpeed in Glasgow) help stopping, but from what I understand there is another issue at large here.

The pedals are much shorter than in the Marina which is resulting in lower pressure been applied (less of a lever effect), that'll have an affect on the braking capabilities of the car - it is offset however by the lighter vehicle.

As for location of the servo's, no real idea but there is a thread here with a couple of suppliers...

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I tried the test on holding down the pedal when starting, and it does go down a very little bit. After that is just feels solid. That said, when I really push, can get the fronts to lock up.

I am not really confident with brakes (I did not build my Roadster), but think that maybe just replacing pads/linings might do it - should a normal brake centre be able to do this relatively cheaply.

Also, further testing getting more difficult since the starter motor will no longer repsond to a sharp tap to get it going. It is pre-engaged type, and will work if I take it off and back on, but only once, then seems to jam again. Can I grease something to make it work every time - it is getting embarressing to get out the hammer at the petrol station!

Comment

Sounds like the servo is probably OK.
          You could try one of the "usual suspects" and ask them to give the brakes a once-over...have you had an MOT recently? Were the brakes OK for that?

Assuming the battery is in good condition the starter motor could be just dirty pinion gear-splines or a broken solenoid spring, either of which can cause the pinion to remain engaged with the flywheel ring-gear - which seems consistent with it working after removal/replacement. Try rocking the car whilst the engine is off/in gear - this might be a little easier than continual removal/replacement ;-)

Best bet for piece of mind would be an exchange unit from your local auto electricians...I'm not sure which type of starter you have (there were 2 types of pre-engaged fitted - 2M100 and M35J) but the only official Lucas replacement now available is for the M35J (Lucas part number LRS293). They are both interchangeable though.

Hope this helps
          Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
          Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I think I agree with you about the servo. They have a reputation of not going wrong and I think it more likely that the brakes would seize through lack of use.
            On the rocking method, this used to work OK, but now is not enough. So I will take the motor off one more time, give it a good clean to free up the mechanism, probably give up and buy a new one from my friendly local shop!
            I'll keep you posted

Comment

Jez,
              I previously forgot to mention a special feature of my Roadster: when left, it mends itself. Having refused to do anything on the key no matter what I hit for weeks, yesterday started first time. And then again. So I will wait a while before doing anything. If I leave it long enough, maybe the brakes will improve too.

Does anyone else's car mend itself?

Comment

Working...
              X