Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tie Bars

Message originally posted by: Lee Hunter
    Please see pictures of the new tie bars that we have created for my roadster they locate the front suspension far better than using the blue poly bushes. The handling is much more precise and under braking too. They have a main solid part which is machined out and bolted to the chassis and 1/2" Rod ends screwed onto the original tie bars.

Regards
    Lee Hunter

Re: Tie Bars

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    Hi Lee

Is this something that a company is making up for you, or just passing some information on? I think it is Hugh who has done a similar thing as well..

Comment

Hi Stefan
      No, this is completely our idea all the parts have been machined in our workshop except for the rod ends they were bought in. Like i said it makes the car handle much better as the wheels do not move backwords over bumps or braking..
      Lee

Ps You coming to the lakes..?

Comment

Ah, rightio I don't actually see much trouble under braking/steering as is mind

I plan to come across yes Just need to check dates (I presume they'll be in the next PitStop edition?).

Comment

Ah, I now know what you mean - actually felt it moving under braking today.

I shall have to have a deeks at the Lakes trip - when are you planning it? (I'm off to Scotland for a break next week, MOT the week after, GoodWood Festival Of Speed 23-25th and then the cars in for some bodywork until early July).

Comment

Are you taking orders Lee...
            ;-)
            Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
            Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

Hmm, maybe I was to subtle

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee
                Hi Jez
                I may make some more of the tie bars in the future i will have wait and see, but if the interest was there i would certainly look at doing them to order.

Comment

Hi Lee are you using rose joints at both ends of the rods,
                  I would be interested in buying apair if you are taking orders Jeff Ganderton

Comment

Message originally posted by: Matthew Sykes
                    A word of warning about Rose joints(spherical bearings) on road vehicles, they are very noisy and wear loose very quickly (I use them on the shockers on my competion LR). The other thing top bear in mind when using them on the tie bars is they transmit much more of a shock loading to the mounts on the chassis as there is no cushioning like rubber/poly bushing and can cause failure of the mount or the chassis around the mount.
                    Sorry to be pessimistic but they will probably be fine for the track but become and expesive pain on the road unless you replace them every 4>5 months.
                    Matthew

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
                      A Teal (Bugatti replica) I saw at Stoneleigh, using marina suspension, had the tie-bar located with a track rod end. The track rod ball joint was threaded onto the chassis end of the tie bar with the tapered pin located in a bracket on the chassis. Obviously this would require some welding and modification to the chassis to adapt to a Marlin, but track rod ends do have the advantage of being weather proof and cheap.

Comment

Hi Matthew
                        I am only using a rose joint on 1 end of the tie bar the end towards the chassis. I also have put a small 3/4mm thick Poly bush, to cut down any noise from the tie bar and give a small amount of cusioning. I have used this type of rose joint before on the rear of the car both on the anti tramp bars and on the panard rod with no problems and the car i beleive is on of the best handling roadsters around.

Lee

Comment

Lee , I'll agree with you on the handling and would be interested in who manufactures the rose joints, admittedly mine on the LR are subject to a lot more abrasive mixtures than you would expect on the road. If they do just the spherical bearing s in the same specs I'd love to try some on my shockers I(if they do the right size)and see how well they last.
                          Cheers
                          Matthew

Comment

Working...
                          X