Roadster Axle Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster Axle Mounting

I'm still investigating a nasty knock from the back end of my roadster and have started to look at the axle mounting. I've taken he U bolts and lowering kit off and found some serious wear on both the U Bolts and the axle saddle suggesting a fair bit of movement over a long time. The lowering block has about 1/16th of an inch forward/aft movement when located in the axle pad. My question is, does anyone know what the U Bolts should be torqued up to when fitted with the lowering kit. The set I removed were torqued to 18ft lb which is what is specified in the Haynes manual but clearly is not enough. I also haven't found a supplier for the longer U Bolts so I have got a local engineering firm to make me some but I need to tell them what torque the threads must take.

Cheers

Re: Roadster Axle Mounting

Alan ,the torque figure you have is incorrect!40lbs ft is what they should be loaded to.There's a discrepancy in the haynes manual,look under suspension and steering NOT rear axle,14/18 as quoted is nowhere near enough

Comment

Alan, thank you that will explain a lot; I hope. I am still trying to get my head around the dynamics of an axle mounted on leaf springs and how the assembly works as a whole. I clearly took the right career path flying rather than being a technician - much too difficult.

Cheers Alan

Comment

try mg or triumph parts for extended u bolts

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ben Caswell
          Hi Allen
          While your at it check that the UJ is not loading up due to too acute prop angle. Some axles required a 3deg wedge under the spring plate to adjust the angle that the joint runs at.

Comment

Hi Ben

Not sure how to do that! There isn't a 3 degree wegde on my springs and I am assuming that the axle pad is mounted to take account of the 3 degree requirement as shown in the build manual! Do you know how or if I can confirm the setting on my car. Getting complex isn't it?

Cheers Alan

Comment

Alan, The rear propshaft flange should be as near to 90 degrees with a line drawn lengthwise down the props centre.A quick check would be to place the car on axle stands under the rear springs as near as poss to mounting plate[this will effectivaly put the vehicle in a 'as on road' condition] and turn the propshaft.if the u/j appears to wobble about it's centre you probably need the 3 degree wedge[think of a gyroscope or spinning top as it winds down]The wedge is item 10 fig 11.11 or 11.14 depending on your manual

Comment

Message originally posted by: Andy Hudson
                Hi Alan, if its any help you are quite welcome to come and look over my (well used) marina based roadster. It has no undue clonks or rattles and i assume it set to a 'normal' spec. I am located just near St ives on the A14.

Regards Andy

Comment

Thanks Alan that's very clear.

Andy. Yes please I'd like to have a look over your roadster and have a chat at your convenience; I have a number of jobs that I plan to tackle in the near future - once the knock has been sorted some of which you might already have done.

Cheers Alan

Comment

Message originally posted by: Andy Hudson
                    Alan, i am on holiday for a week from saturday ( at home ) so give us a call 07775 866415 and we will see if we can help with your head scratching ! I do work odd hours and have a strange sleep pattern but i will call you back if i am not available.

Regards Andy.

Comment

Andy, thanks for the contact info. I am away myself on holiday at the moment but I'll give you a call when I get back.

Cheers Alan

Comment

Working...
                      X