Ariel mounting on a roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ariel mounting on a roadster

I want to put a CD player in my roadster I shall have to mount an ariel somewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions about where the best place to mount one is and where I can get a suitable ariel from?
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: Ariel mounting on a roadster

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    I thought of doing this, but can't find anywhere sensible to put speakers - where are you putting yours?

As for the aerial, I thought of attaching it inside the lip which runs inside the parcel shelf (the bit on the back of the car which creates the the lump to attach the roof), however the signal wouldn't be great. The other place, as seen on a Marlin in the Lakes, is on the opposide side to the petrol cap.

Failing that, use the spare wheel & holder as an aerial

Comment

you might want to put a thin metal plate/foil underneath the ariel to connect the earth to and form a ground plane this might help with reception.

Comment

All modern (short ariels) rely on the fact the car is made out of metal. Some ariels, not all, need to be earthed and again rely on the metal bodywork for this. If you use one of these and mount your ariel on the fibreglass you will need to fabricate an earth terminal. As our cars are fibreglass you will need to use a fairly long ariel. As for positioning, look at the picture in "Dash" thread. It is only the base in the picture but the ariel is about 1 metre in length. You can improve things further by using an ariel signal amplifier - again most modern cars use these. These are available quite cheaply from all good car hifi shops.
        Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
        - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Ben ,i had a system in the car for a time [ariel mounted on rear chassis rail,speakers attached to base of seat belt mounting turret in boot]complete watse of time in my opinion in a roadster unles your'e prepared to stick to 30 -40 mph

Comment

My ariel is fitted just forward of the passenger door and earthed to the chassis. Speakers are in the rear behind the seats (alpine 6 X 9s and i still cannot hear anything when over 50 MPH.

Comment

Working...
            X