Exhaust wrap V paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust wrap V paint

In an attempt to minimise under bonnet temperature in my Pinto Berlinetta [and keep the platic weather shield on the end of my alternator happy] I have previously wrapped my exhaust manifold with exhaust wrap but this flakes off if you think about touching it. Does anyone know if exhaust paint for this purpose is as good as exhaust wrap?

Many thanks Roger

Re: Exhaust wrap V paint

Hi Roger,
    I wrapped the pipes from the manifold to about 400mm outside the bodywork (side exhaust) on my Berlinetta and have had no trouble at all. Did you spray paint your wrap after fitting it? The instructions suggest that the wrap is sprayed with the heat resitant paint. It is best not to wrap the manifold as in a previous thread.

Cheers,
    Dane.
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
      Just to clarify what Dane said, don't use Heat tape on your cast iron manifolds - it causes heat spots and will eventually lead to your manifold snapping (like mine did). Much better to try a heat blanket or paint.

Comment

Thank you for the replies, but just to clarify. I exhaust wrapped AND sprayed my 4 into 1 stainless exhaust manifold. This lasted some time until I touched I recently touched it when the wrap broke easily. I am trying to find out if exhaust paint insulates the engine bay as well as exhaust wrap.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
          Ah, stainless steel is a different matter altogether The paint itself does not insulate as well as the paint.

Try http://www.agriemach.com/

Comment

Hi Roger This is slightly hi tech but I wrapped my mild steel down pipe for the same reason with a heat insulating tape, but eventually the pipe cracked. I complained to the maker and was told that the insulation obviously kept the heat in and the pipe temperature rose to a very high level. So high that the metal changed from its ferritic state to a pearlite state and became brittle and unweldable.So be aware. If you want to save your alt. from being cooked , mount a heat shield between exhaust and alt. and get some space around it . Regards Brian Gadd.

Comment

Many thanks Brian.

Roger

Comment

Working...
              X