Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for my earlier roadster...

Hi,

I sold my 1.3 engine Marina based roadster around the mid 80's (I think . I was running a pub called the Red Lion at Elstow, Beds at the time. Two guys collected it from there.

At that time it was dark blue with unpainted aluminium bonnet and side. Does anyone know if this car is still in existance?

Thanks

David.
    - 9th owner of T693 SSC possibly a factory built Ford based V8 Sportster
    - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
    - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
    - 8th owner of Roadster chassis number 2395. Now owned by Barry!
    - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Re: looking for my earlier roadster...

Just bumping this post in case anyone knows anything about my old car

Comment

OK, I found out what the registration is/was, PKK 989M, has anyone seen this car?
      - 4th owner of Q309 RNV, an early Cabrio built by Bob Copping, owned Doug & Liz Billings for 16 years
      - 9th Custodian of JRR 929D, Triumph Vitesse based special Paul Moorehouse built prior to the Triumph Roadster kits.
      - Builder of chassis number 2325 (PKK 989M) in the mid 80's. Now owned by Eric & Lynne.

Comment

hi Dave I own PKK 989M, I bought it in 2000 and it was dark blue and silver. but in a sorry state.I rebuilt it from the chassis up. The 1300 engine had some very interesting bits in it, and when i reground the crank and swaped the carb from the twin su to a nice big webber the engine kicked out a lot of power.I had a lot of fun till 2003 when the clutch tore apart (it just couldnt take the power)It has sat on my drive in Barnsley South Yorkshire since then as a new wife and a new business have taken priority. I was having a look on the site as my 22 year old son is intending taking over the marlin and putting a 3000 Toyota Supra twin turbo engine and running gear into the poor little car(sacrilege I know), he already ownes a very modified twin turbo Supra.
        We have no history of the car before I bought it as it was part exchange for a mini at a local garage, and as the car is going to live on, even though much changed, its history would be of great interest to us, as my son will no doubt be taking it racing and entering it in the shows as he does the supra. Hope this reaches you in Australia, as I see your post is 18 months old. Yours Dave Rushworth

Comment

Hi Dave, Just emailed you, I'll post here as well, links below will be interesting to some.
          ------
          Hi Dave,

Found you email address on the Marlin Owners Club web site after seeing one of your replies.

Would be great to see some pics of my old car, selling it was one of the big mistakes in life. Anyway, here's a link to some pics I've scanned in of the build and it on the road in plain black fibreglass and I think there's one of it at a show in blue and alloy bonnet.

http://web.mac.com/dbanes/iWeb/Site/Davds%27s%20Marlin.html

I've got the same pics in larger sizes I can email to you.

You're correct about the engine, it cos more than the rest of the car and was machined to my specs by BD Engineering in Kent (they were close to Brands Hatch).

It's bizarre that the car has ended up in Barnsley as that's were my grand parents on my mothers side lived and we travelled up there a few times from Kent. My aunt still lives in the area.

Anyway, keep in touch, would be good to see the car in action sometime, not sure about the Toyota motor though, I'd go for a well tuned BMC 4 (MGB) or 6 (GT6/Vitesse).

Best regards,

David.
          http://www.davidbanes.com/
          http://web.mac.com/dbanes/
          Attached Files

Comment

David, I would like a copy of these pictures as I think I can see my car in the background of one of the rally's and also it is good to see other peoples builds. Do you think you could email me them [email protected]. Many thanks. Adrian

Comment

Hi David, have sent you an e-mail updating you on the car

Comment

Adrian - And anyone else. I've zipped up my old Marlin pics (at full size) at various shows in the 80's and put them on my web site, go here; http://www.davidbanes.com/old/80sMarlins.zip

And for those, previous owners and current owner of PKK 989M I've zipped up a set of just this car, build and at shows. http://www.davidbanes.com/old/Marlin-PKK989M.zip
                (still uploading at 22nd July 2008, 8:39pm (GMT +10))

Comment

Hi Dave, I know this sounds weird but has your son been working in Carlisle as I may have met him in the prenier inn their? Adrian

Comment

Update on this old thread.

My old roadster now for sale on Pistonheads, looks a bit sad nw but a good project for someone.

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2567106.htm

Comment

Adrian: Only just spotted this. Could be Andrew, been living on Skye since he was 8 with my ex, last I heard he was in Edinburgh but he was definitely in hospitality industry.

Comment

Hi
                        PKK 989M has just been acquired by my friend (and co-grandfather) Eric Gordon, soon to be a MOC member. We would love to know about the engine, did it have a non-standard cam?
                        I'm also interested in the bodywork which is different from both my SWB roadsters chassis numbers 2394 and 2501. PKK's chassis number is 2325 so is this an earlier version although I have seen a similar one on the forum with a later number so perhaps the wheel in the wing etc was an option.

Cheers

Tony

Comment

Hi, a late reply to this. Yes Thenoriginal engine had lots of go faster bits, but looking at my own pic in this thread that engine and parts may actually be from my Mini Cooper not the Marlin A Series engine.

The car was ordered with the optional, at the time, running board mounted spare wheel carrier. Did you inherit the box of documents that have followed the car from owner to owner? Details would have been in that I hope!

Feel free to PM me or email me at [email protected].

David

Comment

Working...
                          X