Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Power

Message originally posted by: Mike Garner
    Having taken 15 years to build a roadster, my older bones are asking for a more comfortable ride. I am seriously considering a BMW 2.5 stright six in a Cabrio. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding type of engine - E30 or E36 - Have Marlin really sorted the design or is a lot left to the builder to resolve?
    Any advice/pictures before i make a decision would be really welcome.
    How many BMW pwered Cabrios are there on the road complete?

Re: BMW Power

Message originally posted by: Derek (tech Rep)
    Have details of 3 with BMW engines but only one of these is finished

Comment

Message originally posted by: Mike Woodley
      Hi Mike,
      I hate to be the bearer of bad news ,but i believe Cabrio kits are no longer available.I think Marlin closed its order book for Cabrio's in June, but please check with Marlin.Your best bet would be an unfinished build.
      I have a Rover V8 short wheel-base Cabrio,which is a joy to drive,is very quick and handles really well.My only regret is not building the long wheel-base version.
      As far as your question of the design being sorted,the rolling chasis was easy to assemble, but a great deal of work went into the bodywork/doors.The end result is well worth the effort.My build took me 1008 Hrs, including an engine rebuild.I hope this is of some use to you.

Comment

Hi Mike,
        If It`s any use I`ve just finished my LWB Sierra donered BMW powered Cabrio. After much research in my opinion the best & most reliable engine is the E36,M50 out of a 325i vanosvvt.This is the 24valve,2xohc short block version & go for the standard g/box. Go for 93-96 if poss.Give Marlin a ring,you may just be lucky.Give me a call if you need any more help-0146030332,07748450677.While I`m here does anyone know if a car has a hood in place do SVA testers want to see it up? I`m sure either the locating latch(hood down) or the lever(hood up) will fail it `cos of radius,so I could cover one or other for the test.Any pointers gratefully recieved as test in 7 days! Cheers C
        -

Comment

Derek
          Many thanks for your honest advise - if only Marlin were as nice as the people who build their cars......see below

Comment

To Mike Woodley
            Thanks for the advice. I have spoken to Marlin and they have not yet sold the franchise, and are prepared to manufacture a new Cabrio. I am very tempted.....see below

Comment

Chris
              Chris
              Many many thanks for the chat. I am very tempted now to go ahead with the BMW option - and because Marlin are losing interest in the Cabrio I should do it sooner rather than later! I look forward to any photos you may wish to send : please feel free to send as many as you like, particularly of any item/area where the parts either had to be remade, or completely new parts created.

PS Are there a disproportionate number of Marlins in the South West, or is it that there are just not many of us 'flat earthers' over in Lincolnshire?

Comment

Message originally posted by: Mike Woodley
                FOR CHRIS CUNLIFFE
                Hi Chris,
                re: SVA The car is assessed as presented, so take your car to the SVA with hood removed and securing latches on screen/roll bar surround removed otherwise it will fail. You can contact me on 01837 53920 if you wish.
                Regards,
                Mike Woodley

Comment

Message originally posted by: Bryan Newell
                  Hi Chris
                  Did she pass?Hope all is well as she is a beauty and it looked like you had done a great job to me!
                  By the way the piano hinge is fitted and works a treat,Just got to grt the old girl on the road now! MOT next week!!!
                  Regards
                  Bryan

Comment

Hi Bryan,
                    Glad the hinge worked,did you use a 9" grinder or a junior hacksaw to split the one -piece??!!
                    The So Very Annoying Test was a really interesting 3.5 hours.She didn`t pass but very nearly. 4 fails.1.Shoulder seat belt mountings 1" too low. 2.Flexible brake hose touching anti-roll bar.3.I missed 2 plastic nut covers on track rod end castle nuts.4.Didn`t have 2.5 radius on the entire front& rear wings & running board!(Bit difficult as they`re not 2.5 thick to start with!) Anyway that lot won`t take long to sort and at the end I was reassured that I`ve got a very safe car.It was alarming when you see your pride and joy bobbing up and down like a cork in a storm during a very srvere braking test!! Re-test in 10 days, did you get your MOT? Cheers Chris

Comment

Message originally posted by: Bryan Newell
                      Hi Chris
                      Sorry she did'nt quite make it first time,looks like you'll be o/k next time though!
                      4 1/2" grinder!(stop cringeing!!!)finished o/k with a file.
                      Mot posponed due to distributer fault the night b4 and had to use the back of the AA van to "stop" during tow home after goodrich brake hose failed (ouch!!)
                      Still all sorted again mot next wk now.
                      Daul circuit brakes to be put in at next opportunity!
                      Good luck!
                      Regards
                      Bryan

Comment

For Chris Cunliffe

Hi Chris

You say your top seat belt mount was too low, was that in relation to the height of the seat back or for some other reason. I have been concentrating on lowering the seat height in mine to allow me to use a headrest mounted belt guide which is fitted to the seats I have used. SVA says the guide is classed as stuctural if it alters the path angle of the belt but if they were happy for you to increase the height of the top mount in some way that would provide me with an easy solution. Any chance you could provide a phone contact so I can contact you to have a chat. You could leave the contact number on my email at cocobola(AT)btopenworld.com

regards

John

Comment

Hi John my e-mail has been playing up so if you don`t get them over the net these are my phone nos 0146030332 07748450677
                          Regards Chris

Comment

If you want to pick a BMW straight 6 engine, I recommend the one from the E36 as it will run much smoother and quieter than the one from the E30. Many M20's from the E30 tend to be a bit "tappy" and judging by the one I have for my sportster build its not the quietest engine out there.
                            BMW E30 Sportster 2005 - M20B28 - Build Log and Updates http://www.msportster.co.uk/
                            http://www.modelog.co.uk/
                            http://www.mustang67.co.uk/

Comment

Patrick
                              Thanks for the reply. I have been to a BMW breakers and listened to a 73,000 mile M50 which looked really clean and was in a car which, until its accident, had obviously been looked after. The problem was it developed a sharp "rasp" at about 1500-2000rpm. The guy breaking it , who seemed genuine, reckoned all BMW M50 engines have the same rasp (sounds like a cam chain noise, rather than tappets)
                              I would be very interested to hear from anyone using the M50 2.5 engine as to how quiet/smooth their M50 is.
                              regards
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X