Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadster

Recently aquired a roadster and was wondering where I might be able to find a hard top for it for winter use, any ideas? have they ever been avaliable? second hand ones?
    Jon

Re: Roadster

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC, Editor)
    Hi Jon, the Roadster doesn't really have a hard top. However one was being used by Tony and Sue Attwood. I can't remember if they designed it or got it from someone else. Email me at sue.roedel(at)ntlworld.com and I will give you their number.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
      I've often wondered if you picked up a Berlinetta roof, chopped a strip out of the middle and shortened slightly if it'd fit (shape wise). I wouldn't have thought it'd be too hard for a bodyshop to copy the hood design in fibreglass either way.

Having said that, I used mine all last winter with just the vinyl roof and didn't find any hardship at all (although will admit driving with gloves, hat & jacket with the roof on a little perturbing!). The only time I wish I wasn't in the was when I wished I wasn't driving full stop - driving snow made poor visibility & lightcar/rwd was not easy (fun, but not easy ).

Comment

Hat and gloves? Ya big woose I always found mine very cosy and warm zipped in and heater on.

Only slight hardship (with mine) is a lack of demisting vents, so needing to always keep a cloth handy. Obviously a hard top wouldn't help this...

Comment

Message originally posted by: Mike Garner
          Jon
          Tony & Sue Attwood designed, and were marketing, the hard top - I have one of their adverts.Going back 10 years though. Also have a photo of their car at an exhibition - it was immaculate. Could scan and email if you are interested.
          Mike

Comment

Ah but Chris, the gloves doubled up as the cloth

Comment

actually for calling me a wuss Chris, I'll demonstrate the lengths I go to (glad for a chance to relate the story)

I went out for a run in the car on 21st December 2004 and decided to take the road I know quite well to come home. Unfortunately the sign which said "winter conditions can be hazardous" was covered in snow so nothing stopped me. The result was driving the Marlin down a road which was covered in 3" of snow - the sump kept leaving impressions in the mounds.

We couldn't go back as if I'd stop we wouldn't have started again (and reverse gear aint so great on my car) so we kept going at a nice steady speed making sure that we didn't stop. All was well until the end when there is a very steep little hill, so steep in fact that the car was headed down regardless and it took every effort to keep the car straight and slowing. Thankfully at the bottom there was grit so the ice cleared but the locals standing watching wern't too impressed with the "be careful, it's a bit icy up there" line I gave them.

I had a passenger that day as well, someone I told to "Wrap up warm" and he was wearing a hoody and t-shirt. He was actually taking a movie of the run with my camera and can be heard saying "is this a good idea", "oh s***", the best one been "are you sure you know where you're going" as I reply "no not now" the camera angle gets badly skewed. He stopped filming at the end when he got terrified by me annoucing that "this is the rollbar, if we go, duck".

Oh, and we had the roof down (he was freezing but I was nice and cosy).

Comment

Jon,
                I have details of hardtop and photo in old copy of Pitstop.If interested/or just want to talk Marlins call Derby 753000

Comment

Great pic of what looks like impending doom!

I remember first year I got mine taking out it out in the snow and fully utilising Tesco's car park (before Sunday opening!)

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ganesh
                    Re: Mike Garner, Alan
                    Having just bought a Roadster I am looking at getting a hard top (or just side panels with a folding roof).
                    Please could anyone with any information send it to me at ganesh0(at)hotmail.com,
                    Cheers

Comment

The hardtop was indeed marketed by Tony Attwood 0138641025 and Chris Everall 01386 442525[work].Please bear in mind that this info is now 10 years old ,so phone details may not be current!

Comment

Working...
                      X