• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Engine Failure!

Anyone seen one of these?

BMW M20 2.5 1988 vintage..........

Comment from David Luck:

I did have a problem around May last year, going for a blast heard tapping at 2700 RPM, then giving it a bit more, loud bang, loss of oil pressure so then a tow home from my son.

When I eventually got round to looking at the problem found no1 conrod had broken, smashed the oil pump drive shaft, and bent valves. (pic attached of oil drive shaft)
    So over Nov / Dec last year rebuilt the engine, conrod and pistons from Peterux, so that was a great help. New big end bearings, rings, lapped in all valves, engine bores honed and new oil drive shaft (from BMW!).

Now the car goes even better, sounds better too!

I think the donor car engine took in water when it went into a ditch so the conrod was damaged by no1 piston hydraulicing.
    The car was a damaged repairable vehicle when I bought it. As I was keen to get the Sportster build moving on just did new oil seals etc when I initially fitted it in 2006, didn't take off the head.
    Interesting point that the twin exhausts, one from each group of 3 are now the same temp, prior to engine rebuild one tailpipe always felt hotter.
    Last edited by Mike; 16-06-12, 09:19 PM.

Re: Interesting Engine Failure!

Mike - you need some sellotape on that, its broke

Comment

Mike, I have an M20 engine in my garage if your interested - either complete or may break.

Andy

Comment

Andy

The picture was of David Luck's M20 - he has rebuilt it since, using a spares from another MOC member, Peter Edwards, so there is no requirement.
        But thanks for your offer, and its nice to know where there are some spares available if anyone is in need.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X