F.A.O. Matthew Sykes (Leeds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F.A.O. Matthew Sykes (Leeds)

Extremely interested to hear more with regards to a replacement MG-B engine. If you could get back to me with a price, it would be greatly appreciated. Also distance is no object, this news is a BIG break through for me. Thanks again... Graham

Re: F.A.O. Matthew Sykes (Leeds)

Message originally posted by: matthew Sykes
    Graham, basically it's a MGB engine, we want ?60 for it, it's complete but we will want to take off the ancilliaries(carbs,manifolds,starter and dizzy).
    I also may know of someone with a complete running(don't know the mileage) Marina 1800, they are in between scunthorpe and Doncaster but I'll have to make a phone call to find out.
    Matthew

Comment

Matthew, many thanks. A complete engine sounds good to me as I know there are parts missing from the unit I have, therefore I would prefer the Marina engine subject to cost, but your MG-B engine would be a close second (I assume that it does run) can you make your phone call for me please and let me know either way - I would aim for collection next weekend(27/28th)
      Thanks again... Graham

Comment

Message originally posted by: matthew Sykes
        Spoken to the Marina guy but I'm afraid he's just sold it. As far as the B engine it ran when it came out of the car and has just been sat in a corner of our workshop. You couldn't pick it up next weekend I'm afraid as we are closed from Friday till tuesday (I'm going to Argyll for a competition and the other partner's going to Eckington for a competition). If you give me a ring at work on Monday we can sort out details if you are interested. We also have a couple of B OD gearboxes aswell if you're interested.
        Matthew
        Vermont Classics Ltd
        0113 3910597
        www.vermontclassicsltd.co.uk

Comment

Look forward to speaking to you on Monday. Can you confirm that the Marina Gear Box will mate with the replacement B engine, if not what other bits and bobs do I need to fit an Over Drive gear box to my car. Graham.

Comment

Look forward to speaking to you on Monday. Can you confirm that the Marina Gear Box will mate with the replacement B engine, if not what other bits and bobs do I need to fit an Over Drive gear box to my car. Graham.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
              The MGB gearbox should mate straight onto the MG 'box, the problem will come fitting the unit into your Marlin.

You'll either need to make new extension bracket to sit between the original mounts and the new MG ones or move the engine mounting brackets on the chassis forward slightly (the Marina's mounts sit on the engine casting where the MGB mounts on the front plate I believe). The transmission tunnel will needing widening to take the wider gearbox (roughly where the gearstick comes up). You'll need to wire up the overdrive switch. The speedo cable will be different fitting and the speedo unit will need re-calibrating (about ?100). The clutch system is different and as such you'll need to tinker with the hydralic system & finally the propshaft will have to be shortened (about 2" IIRC).

Comment

If it's an 18V type engine I think you should find it has the correct (but unused) engine-mount hole already in the block... So hopefully it is a simple case of reusing the Marina mounting brackets - if you fit a single carb you will need lower mounting rubbers though (LandRover were the original Marlin spec - NRC2054) although for a TC setup then 2 right-hand Marina rubbers will do the job (the LH is a bit flimsy, so Marlin specced 2 x RH mounts).

If you want to fit the Marina box & clutch to the MGB engine you will need to swap the Marina flywheel to the new engine plus the Marina backplate. Put the effort in and fit the B box though (or a Type 9, or have an OD put into the Marina box - anything but the standard 4-speed) - you'll only regret not doing it the first time you take her out on a fast A Road or Motorway..!

Fitting up the MGB overdrive shouldn't be a major problem - all the parts are available (www.moss-europe.co.uk - good diagrams and part numbers, then find a cheaper supplier - eBay is wonderful)..likewise calibration is optional, just do some calculations and be careful around speed cameras..!

I have a PDF version of the original build instructions which I'd be happy to send if you need it - only problem is that it comes in at just over 6MB.
                Marlin Roadster, LWB...1860 B Series + Ford Type 9
                Renault Espace 54mm front calipers, vented discs, cycle wings and adjustable tie-bars.

Comment

I have recently fitted an MGB engine to my Marlin. If you want to use the standard Marina gearbox and mountings you will need to change the front and backplates on the engine, my engine came without backplate. You will also need to use the Marina flywheel which bolts directly onto the crankshaft. The final thing is the 1st motion shaft spigot bearing in the crankshaft. The MGB one is much bigger than the Marina one. I removed the MGB and my old Marina one using a cunning device involving a washer filed oval so that it could be slipped behind the bush, a nut and a bolt which enabled me to draw it into a socket placed over the hole on the crankshaft. It required patience and leger de main.
                  Good luck

Tony

Comment

Thank you all, again. I've have managed to source a complete and running 1977 MGB-GT and plan to transfer the powerplant in that across and into my Marlin, yippee. Note: MGB-GT spares available, open to offers!! Graham

Comment

Working...
                    X