Failed MOT due to sleeping policeman.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed MOT due to sleeping policeman.

I took my YKC Roadster in for its MOT the week before last only to have it fail for the first time in 14 years. The rear nearside wheel was binding. Before I drove to the garage I did all the normal checking of the lights, wipers etc but I had forgotten that a few weeks back I had grounded the car on a particularly nasty sleeping policeman. If it is a good old grounding, it applies the handbrake slightly as the lowest point on the car is the handbrake support bracket and when the bracket bends it pulls on the cable enough to put the brake on. Whilst I explained all this to the MOT chappy he wouldn't budge and put it on an advisory (I guess I can understand why) and I was going on holiday with some friends that afternoon for a week in Cornwall . So I drove home, put the Roadster in the garage and promised myself I wouldn't think about it while I was away. Well, you can't can you?

I got home the following Thursday night, the car was jacked up on the drive by 7-00am the next morning, the bracket was straitened by 7:30am. For good measure, a little WD40 was applied to the swivels and I tested the wheel - no binding. I phoned the garage and they had a cancellation at midday. By 12:30 I was back home with my newly won MOT Certificate.

I dread to think what my petrol consumption was for the few small journeys I had taken since grounding the car and I also wonder how hot the rear disk had got. Anyway, every now and then I think about re-routing the handbrake cable but I was so much younger when I first built the car plus we have moved house and the removals men refused to move my pit!!

I guess the moral is - a more thorough personal check is necessary before venturing to the MOT centre.

Joking apart, I have been looking at these fibre glass pits but if I fitted one it would have to be outside. Has anyone done that and designed a suitable weather proof cover?

Re: Failed MOT due to sleeping policeman.

Having read and re-read this I am wondering why you needed to resubmit the car for an advisory item? Perhaps I don't have the full story...

Comment

Hi Robert - my poor sentence construction - I should have left the words "budge and" out

Comment

OK I understand now! It does make sense.

My pedantic mind!

Comment

Working...
        X