Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fierce clutch judder

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    In the past year the clutch has started to judder badly in 1st gear and reverse. I'd always used the car regulary to drive in traffic and whilst it did it, it certainly wasn't bad.

Recently however the car is getting undriven for longer periods of time (a week or so) and the judder is getting hideous. It's hard to pull away without the whole car shaking and changing into any gear results in juddering. 4th gear didn't want to engage properly last night & there appeared to a slight slip when changing into 4th (but not other gears).

I'm assuming that there is a small leak somewhere resulting from taking the engine out/gearbox apart to fix the thrust bearing/burst clutch pipe in April last year. Any other ideas or anyway I could try and resolve it without taking the engine out again?

When I have the money I'm planning on changing the car's clutch/gearbox to accept a 5speed unit (and probably the crank, but thats another day) so don't really want to pay money to fix this thing (plus of course I have none at the moment)

thanks for any advice

Re: Fierce clutch judder

Message originally posted by: Jim Mountain
    Sounds to me like you need to replace the whole clutch (not just the friction plate) but can not tell for sure without driving the car, I'm not to sure why you think a leak in the system would cause clutch judder, and why do you want to replace the crank ?.

Comment

I'm not sure why I think it's an oil leak, just seems to make sense to my brain (although I'm not experienced in these matters).

Strangely bleeding the clutch & putting oil in the 'box has helped dramatically, it's still there but not as hideous.

As for changing the crank, I want to upgrade the engine with "stage II" head and a high lift cam, apparently the crank is a the weak link and I'm contemplating changing it. It's all in the future after a lot more research / contemplation mind.

Comment

Definately sounds like pressure plate /replace clutch assy but get AP borg and beck ,any other are just crap!

Comment

Check your engine and gearbox mounts as well

Comment

I have the problem last year and it was the gearbox mount as the propshaft sometime caught the side of the tunnel.Also for your there are two types of mounts,

Comment

Hmmm.... I've always had a little clutch judder and my prop rubs on the tunnel too. Bob, what was the problem with your gearbox mount, had it just come loose or something?

Comment

Hi Stefan

I had similar symptoms last year and simply put a new clutch kit in; problem solved. I bought the kit, reconditioned, from my local motor factor and cost ?35. The hardware had Borg and Beck stamped on it but I doubt they did the reconditioning. It's a bit of an ass to get the gearbox out but managable with two people and a couple of good trolly jacks. Biggest problem was getting the slave cylinder unions tight enough not to leak on the rebuild . You'll have to take the gearbox off anyway to confirm your suspison of a leak. Good luck.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Malcolm Sherratt
                  You are quite right to suspect oil on the clutch as a major cause of judder, it is however unlikely to be from the clutch hydraulic system, the more likely culprit is the gearbox primary shaft oil seal, often this worsened by having the car standing, the oil seaps along the primary shaft and onto the centre plate contaminating the srea of centre plate at the lower side, when running, the oil tends to be thrown off the shaft before it gets to the centre plate. All mentions of engine and gearbox mounting are also very relevant, check the lot, when you take the gearbox out check the bellhousing, any oil leaks will have left tell tale traces, good luck.
                  MalcS

Comment

Thanks for all the replies there. It certainly sounds like I need to take the engine out. I'll still try everything I can to avoid that fate mind!

Thanks for the ideas

Comment

F.A.O Chris.
                      The gearbox mount went soft and spongy with oil leaking on it over the years and lost its stiffness.!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X