Wits End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wits End

Story so far.... Standard 1300 a-series on single SU, running ok but pig to start. Fitted MG Metro manifold had new exhaust made and refitted 45 webbers from previous engine that dropped a valve.

She ran really rich and whilst rejetting discovered a crack between 2 and 3, hence the original starting problem. I have replaced the head and gasket after,5 pumps of the throttle she will start first turn of the key, however, she pops, wheezes and farts and can hardly get up the drive, adjusting idle on no1 choke makes no difference as does pulling off 1&2 plug leads, but when you get to 3000 rpm she goes like a scalded cat.

I have blown the idle circuit through with a compressor, there is spark on 1&2, I have taken out the slight kink in the fuel hose, checked the tappets, retorqued the head, checked points, cleaned distributor and checked through everything I can think of, no matter how unrelated.

It all points to Idle circuit on no1 choke but it all seems to be clear, does anybody have any idea's?

Chris

Re: Wits End

take the webbers off and put a sensible carb on it it may not sound as good or use quite so much petrol but at least you will be able to drive the damn thing

Comment

I had a similar intermitant problem and even having changed everything (including points)it still persisted.
      Get an electronic igntion upgrade, whether or not it is the points it's still worth doing. I fitted a Lumenition Magnatron recently and it is the best ?80 I ever spent on the car - instant starting, never misses a beat and a doddle to fit (about 5 minutes!)

Comment

45 dcoe webers on a standard engine! get rid,a single su of a metro is all you need

Comment

Problem Identified, but still running rich, Ball bearing missing from the no1 valve systemin the weber, however have found an MG metro inlet manifold to modify and then fit with an SU until the original engine is rebuilt and refitted.

Comment

Working...
          X