Speedo dial mods in Pitstop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo dial mods in Pitstop

I was interestd in Keith Howell's article in Pitstop showing how to create a professional looking dial using the computor. I am sure my wife will understand the technical instructions but there is one thing that bothers me about fitting the new dial. It concerns taking the needle off the spindle. I may be wrong but isn't the needle sprung to stop on its peg at zero MPH? Or does it simply go back as would clock hands? If it is easy I would like to have a crack at it and also do the rev counter to match. My speedo reads slow and while I'm at it I would like to design something a bit more vintage looking - like me! Also, what paper or card would be best and would it be advisable to spray it with laquer?
    Franklin, Leicester

Re: Speedo dial mods in Pitstop

If you get some vinyl from a sign maker, available in a huge range of colours. It will be impervious to light and will self stick. I have printed on white vinyl with an HP printer and a laser, Canon printers may be best, they have a straight paper path.

Wet the dial with washing up liquid and water so you can re-position. Some dials have a mark for the fitting point of the needle, gently lift it over the stop and note where it stops.

The sign shop may print the dial image on the vinyl for you. It used to be about £10/sq ft (to print). Probably more now...
    Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 10-10-12, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Hi Franklyn,

I have just had your email forwarded to me by a chap whose email address turns out to be [email protected] - mine has another h in the middle ie [email protected] - I wasn't ignoring your questions, I just didn't get them. Robert has pretty much answered for me and more importantly, he seems to have actually done some work on speedo's whereas I was coming from the position of providing Biro with how to draw the dials, not how to fit them.

You might try http://www.photopaperdirect.com/cate...tive-Stickers/ for the paper but if you Google "self adhesive vinyl printer paper" you will get loads of stockists. I would suggest you also get some of their fixative lacquer - just in case you ever get any moisture into your instruments it will waterproof the dial and perhaps more importantly will provide UV protection (against fading).

The best contrast for signs is supposed to be black and amber but I would think an amber (orange - yellow) background would look horrible. To get an aged design perhaps a cream background with dark brown lettering. I would also think you might be better off buying matt rather than gloss paper (and matt lacquer if their is a choice)

Keith
      Last edited by keith_h; 17-10-12, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Franklin, Leicester View Post
        I was interestd in Keith Howell's article in Pitstop showing how to create a professional looking dial using the computor. I am sure my wife will understand the technical instructions but there is one thing that bothers me about fitting the new dial. It concerns taking the needle off the spindle. I may be wrong but isn't the needle sprung to stop on its peg at zero MPH? Or does it simply go back as would clock hands? If it is easy I would like to have a crack at it and also do the rev counter to match. My speedo reads slow and while I'm at it I would like to design something a bit more vintage looking - like me! Also, what paper or card would be best and would it be advisable to spray it with laquer?
        Hi Franklin. If you look at the speedo face anti clockwise of the stop pin there is a small dot that is the datum point. If you carefully ease the needle over the stop and allow the spring tension to relax holding the gauge vertically the needle should in theory point to the datum point.

If you have already removed the needle you have to let the sprung disc to which the needle and shaft are connected come to its natural resting position.Holding the gauge in a vertical position replace the needle to point at the datum point(dot) on the right of the stop pin and gently tap it on. Then move the needle carefully past the stop to normal 0 mph position.

I would suggest using a spare gauge to practice with before pulling your own one apart.
        Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Thanks Keith and Ben for this info. As regards the colour and design I favour a simpler 1930s white on black style. On the tacho it would give me the opportunity to get rid of the gaudy 1960s orange and red sectors. If I had spare instruments I would like to experiment with a more vintage style needle design too. Pedant? me?
          Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Franklin, You need to be careful changing the needle as its weighted to work with the hair spring. Too heavy = slow-sluggish reading/too light= fast-eratic reading.
            Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

OK, I'll pass on the needle mod.
              Franklin, Leicester

Comment

Working...
              X