No announcement yet.

Exmoor Clouds Trial on sunday the 14th.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exmoor Clouds Trial on sunday the 14th.

Hi all im entering the exmoor clouds trial on sunday. Wish me luck. We are having tonnes of rain here at the moment which should make it intresting. Im really looking forward to this cause iv done loads on my car and tested it out last weekend on a local production car trial and won my class.

Steven

Re: Exmoor Clouds Trial on sunday the 14th.

Good luck Steven, post some pix if you can.

Wish I lived nearer, despite all the hills around here we don't seem to 'do' trialling in this corner of the globe. I tried to interest Morecambe Car Club when I was active on the rally scene but was met with blank stares. Motor sport hereabouts seems almost dead.

Comment

Its dying off around here. Its a real struggle we have every month trying to get people just to turn up! The marlin with some work seems to be the best car. I cant get over how tough they are. Il keep you updated on how i get on.

Comment

If heavy is good, mine will be a winner! I set out with the intention of making it as light as possible but I keep welding bit's to it and of course the bit's weigh. When I started I could easily lift each end of the chassis with one hand, now it's a struggle with two hands. Maybe I am just getting tired... Of welding.

I suppose the interest is waning recently due to the cost of fuel but trialling never seemed to take root around here. Lot's of road rallying and motorbike trialling but not much car trialling.

Comment

Iv fitted 2 tractor weights onto the back of mine. Fairly easy to remove if i wish. These about 3 or 4 trialers who owned my car before me so its had alot of mods done for trialing. There is a tube full of lead welded under the bumper. The extra weight dosent seem to make much difference to road handling and mpg. Tho it does a little. They are really strong cars! I would imagine a marlin would be great for road rallies in road form. I can chuck mine around ok on autotests tho its not as good as fwd cars.

Comment

I am a little way from being able to use it for trialling but I had already thought of the lead in a tube idea but I was going to make mine loose like large bullets, which could be slid into the back bumper(s) and a cap screwed on at each end. That way the weights could be varied or removed. I have a second Marlin back end which I have salvaged and I intend to mount it below the existing bumper and bolt the two together with a spacer, attaching the normal spring shackle to the lower eye, which would lift the back of the car about an inch and a half to two inches. The second, removable bumper also has a 50mm trailer ball attached so I could tow a small (or large?) trailer if I wanted, so I could take it camping.

I also have a large neat chunk of iron ~25 to 30 Kg? which could be bolted to the back bumpers if needed.

I am interested in this weight thing, it has been something I have wondered about many times over the years. Light is good to get up hills, heavy is good for grip. There must be a point between the two which is optimal. I tested the theory of more weight is good one day on a very steep downhill on snow. Despite crawling down the hill at very slow speed, I completely flattened a wall with my very heavily laden van on a corner. Beat a hasty retreat and put it down to experience.

I suspect this has been debated to death somewhere.
            Last edited by Robert in Cumbria; 13-10-12, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Its all trial an error with the weight. My dads jago geep used to run out of power with the weight then wouldnt grip with out any. I think iv got the weight just right on my marlin. Using the handbrake is a must coming down steep hill espically backwards. Cause they are low and the weights low down iv never had any problems yet. My mate cocked up on simms hill once reversing back. but it was ok just lifted the front wheel abit. The marlins just seem to grip and grip. Just scary when your flatout on road trying to stop in the rain. Not a problem in the dry tho and if driving sensible. My dad has a beetle these days and he has added extra weight to it and it still seems to have loads of power on the hills. That is the trick with marlins tho add some extra weight. Iv also moved my battery out of the car and into my storage box on the back. More weight over the rear axle and it dosent have to be in a sealed box then.

Comment

Working...
              X