tie rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tie rods

Could anybody help me with converting my tie rods to rose joints. I understand they increase stability when braking hard. What are these rose joints and where do you get them from?

Re: tie rods

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    If you have a look at the PitStop article "Ball joint tie rod Ends for the Roadster" by Hugh Cumming in the Dec/Jan 2005 issue there are images, dimensions and descriptions on how/what to do.

Merlin Motorsport sell Rod Ends - www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk it's on page 9 of the catalogue (www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/PDF%2005/MerlinP09.pdf although that crashes my browser my I click on it)

Comment

Thanks for the information, but how do i get a copy of the Dec/Jan 2005 issue.

Comment

If you were an owners club member you wouldn't be asking that question !.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
          The owners club have back copies Just use the contact section of this webpage.

Comment

I've only just joined Mr Ryland and its a shame there are people like you in this world! try helping people

Comment

Andrew, if you mail me at huron at roxanne37.fsnet.co.uk I'll send you a copy of the article and some more pics if you want.Are you on broadband? Hugh.

Comment

Well Andrew anonymous of Huddersfield, I will say this.

You didn't say you were a "new" owners club member did you, my comment was meant as a hint that you should join !!!.

I will say this though, if you don't know what a rose joint is then should you be considering fitting them ??.

Not that I am saying you wouldn't be able to competantly fit them, which I'm sure you could.

Tackling a job like the one mentioned in the pitstop article is not for someone who doesn't have access too and experience in using machine tools and welding equipment, I would suggest this article was more for information rather that a suggested modification for all owners to contemplate. (no offence intended Hugh)

I have seen the result of poorly modified suspension setup and the disasterous fatal results that can occur, when people fit wrong threaded joints, use normal bolts into tapered holes, poor welding attempts, mild steel instead of high tensile and messed up suspension geometry.

Over the past 25 years of being involved in the KitCar and Specials industry I have seen some horrendously put together "vehicles", although I have to say none have been Marlin's !.

Don't contemplate suspension modifications without a full understanding of what effect it can have.

This is perhaps one of the reasons SVA was introduced.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Ben `
                  Come on chaps stop the bickering even Mercedes have cars that fall over and ones that fly. Not to mention crash when on a 1-2 at at Spa.

Comment

Andrew,
                    Have you considered using poly bushes? They are much better than the original rubber ones and are a doddle to fit.
                    This is what you need:
                    www.superflex.co.uk Part SPF0669

Comment

I got my poly bushes from YKC for ?16 delivered last June.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Don
                        Am I the only one to have had poly bushes disintegrate within a matter of months? Mine went hard and crumbled into a white powder, where can you get the good old fashioned rubber ones?

Comment

As a postscript to all of the above, the reason that I went along the balljoint tierod path was because even the NEW poly bushes compressed to less than a quarter of their thickness when on the rolling road brake test thus reducing the castor angle and making the car very twitchy especially under braking. The other benefit has been the ability to set the castor angle to a figure of about 5 deg. which has helped the self centering action of the steering and made the car much more stable in general, especially under braking.My ones have been on for 7 yrs. now and done 25,000 plus with no sign of any wear. Hugh

Comment

Message originally posted by: Lee
                            Hi Andrew
                            I have fitted these to my car with excellent results if you want to give me a call i can explain how this was done also if you look through the forum i posted a article about tie rods and some photos. My number is in the last pitstop....

Comment

Like Hugh and Lee I have also fitted tie rods with rose bearings but, unlike Hugh, I did not alter the castor angle from the standard 2.5deg. As a result, it has made little difference to the self centering action but has made a significant difference when under heavy braking. The car now stays in a straight line instead of wandering about, presumably because the suspension/steering geometery is maintained while braking as suggested by Hugh.

I am inclined to agree with a previous contributor that, unless you have an appropriate engineering background, it's best not to muck about with the steering, suspension or braking systems unless you are really confident.

In the case of this mod there are a number of us who have done it successfully and I know we all prepared to share our experiences and designs with others and advise of any potential pitfalls.

Comment

Working...
                              X