Old seats wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old seats wanted

I have been contacted by someone looking for a pair of old second hand original Marlin seats.

If you have recently upgraded your seating get in touch [email protected]
    Last edited by b_caswell; 19-01-13, 10:11 PM.
    Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Re: Old seats wanted

Current Marlin Seat Measurements.jpg

Hi I am after some advice regarding replacing the seats in my Roadster. I have looked through ALL the related posts on this to try to find a company that would make a seat that, one fits and two, fits in with the style that I want. I basically want a classic looking seat rather than a sporty one. The closest I have come to finding one is from Intatrim (Saturn seat) as I like the look of it. I have contacted them and they say the seat is 38cm wide. My current seat is 36.5cm wide and is tight in the pan between the transmission tunned and chasis. Is my floor pan unusually narrow? I don't think there is much room between the tunnel and the prop shaft and don't really want to be banging things around to gain my extra 2cm (I know it doesn't sound a lot but could be critical in the fit! Above is a diagram I have made of my current seat measurement ( I am a wiz the paint programme??!)

I have spent a lot of time on the WWW looking for seat manufacturers and can find nothing really, mainly due to width. I certainly can't find any seats that look like the original ones.

By the way the problem with the seats is that the base is angled to get the back to recline a bit and the bar along the front of the seat makes my right leg ache during longer journeys and it digs in a bit. So I was really looking for a design that has a foam pad rather than the sprun bed frame type. I have tried re padding the seats with some memory foam to firm them up a bit to try and reduce pressure between my leg and the foam.

Any help would be really appreciated as I seem to be stuck really.

Regards

Dan Cook

Exeter kit car show 2.jpg

Comment

Hi Dan,
      I've got Westfield high backed in mine and they fit OK. I just put spacers under the front mount to get the angle right for me.
      It only dawned on me later that I would have to have pockets made in the toneau to accommodate them!!

Just noticed you have a MK1? so the width may be different.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by h_m_cumming; 20-02-13, 07:45 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Hugh

Thanks for the reply I did look at your car pics in a previous post and they look great. The tonnaeu wouldn't be too much of an issue as my dad made my previous one and I am sure I could get him to customize it. The width is the thing for me really. I did look at the Westfied web site but couldn't see any seats like yours?

I notice you live in Bodmin does this mean you are going on the Cornish run as I am thinking about having a go! Quite a lot of driving for me as I live in Gloucesterhire but sounds like great fun. (plus I have family in Cornwall so could break the journey)

Regards

Dan

Comment

Hi, I went through the same process and have ended up with a set of used Caterham bench backrest and squabs which are comfortable and needed next to no modification. These give maximum legroom and get over the aching right leg.

If you are interested I have a pair of the original Marlin bucket seats which need re-trimming but are free to a club member.

I tried a pair of the narrowest Cobra classics which I just managed to fit width wise but had not banked on how much the backrest reduced the leg length.

Regards, Brian.

Comment

I find the original Marlin seats very uncomfortable !
            My plan is to narrow the frame of my Sprite seats so they will fit and make / modify the covers to fit. Next option could be use the back of the rear seat out of a small car and somehow make bottoms out of the base so like a bench. Third option is to use (new as cheap enough) centre seat out of SIII Land Rover (Defender items need a frame and too dear).

Paul H

Comment

Working...
            X