Sidescreens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sidescreens

As mentioned in Alan Landsburgh's Paint Code thread, I have started an new thread for his sidescreens for discussion. Hopefully you should be able to see the photo's he asked me to post.

I think they look quite good and would ask if he could send me a few more close - ups to show a bit more detail (I could post those as well).

Does anybody else have any comments / photo's of their attempts.

Re: Sidescreens

Nice job Alan ,Are you intending to do an article in 'Pitstop' Would be interested in materials used/copy of drawings if you have any as my son has recently purchased a roadster

Comment

Hi Alan, so he's bought another one; excellent. As you'll recall I was aircrew not an engineer so I've completed all the build work so far using the 'by guess and by God' approach so no drawings I'm afraid. That said it wouldn't be impossible to reverse engineer my work! Picked that term up from some techie in the past. All of the metalwork is aluminium and Poly something or other glasswork. The real key to sucess is the effective beefing-up of the rather flimsy doors. Again I used aluminium angle sections to achieve that, in fact I used the same section for the sub assembly of the windows. My approach was to make and fit the quarter-lights and align the window build with that. Anyway, if you or your son are attending any of the future SEMS get togethers you are most welcome to pour over my efforts. My e-mail is almyland(at)ntlworld.com if you want to communicate direct.

All the best Alan

Comment

Some more photo's of Alan Landsburgh's sidescreens. This time some close up shots.

Comment

I must say I am puzzled by the huge lengths people go to to provide a wind free environment in any roadster, whether it be kit or production car. Full side-screens or windows up, rear wind deflectors - by the time you have that lot surely you might as well be driving a hard top with a sun-roof!

The wind deflectors by D.J.M. Webster from PitStop are simple, unobtrusive and work well. If any sort of 'wind in the hair' is so bad that one has to go to embark on a mammoth engineering task to eradicate it, are you sure you're driving the right car?

p.s. I don't think anything ever works fully, if my limited experience with a few modern rag-tops and press reports of the the Aston Martin DB9 are anything to go by!

Comment

Hi Chris

You make a good point however, having driven only yesterday with the screens both on and off the car the difference in comfort level is significant. I love driving the raodster with the screens off but I'm afraid I can't handle the battering that my right ear gets and some of the sidewinds you can experience can be downright distracting. That said, it's a very personal choice; you certainly still get the wind through the hair experience with sidescreens and, as I mentioned earlier, I can take the screens off in a matter of minutes if I want to. It is a lot of work to make the beasts and as to whether it's worth the effort, again it's a personal choice. I haven't driven a car with deflectors but the feedback from folks at the various kit car shows suggest that they have debatable value. Danny commented, as I recall, that he uses a full crash helmet when on long runs which is another way to go. I am a convert to sidescreen use.

Cheers Alan

Comment

I think the value of wind deflectors depends on the size of the deflector. Far too many that I've seen are too small to have any real effect. The ones on my car (see attached image) definitely make a big difference although not, of course, nearly as much difference as full sidescreens.

Comment

PS to the above post. I should have said that my wind deflectors are hinged to the windscreen surround and I sized them by fixing a template to the hinges then folding them back 'flat' against the hood and fabric sidescreens. The top and bottom of the deflectors are horizontal in this position, the rear edge is vertical, and the top is about 6" long (maybe slightly more). Having cut the perspex to the template, it was then a matter of trial-and-error to find the best angle to fix them at - and I then tightened-up the hinge bolts to hold them in this position. A little easier than making sidescreens that work!

Comment

As Alan says ,each to there own,I guess a lot depends on how far you intend to travel. I did Derby to Crediton and back minus hood[400 miles roughly ] in one day last November in torrential rain for the best part of the journey,without full sidescreens would have not only been uncomfortable but bl--- y dangerous.I think Alan should be commended on taking the trouble to produce something that not only looks good but works as effectivaly as the body design will allow!! Is it only us Brits that take delight in knocking other people's efforts!

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
                    Andrew, was the original template similar to the one featured in PitStop?

Comment

Sorry - I certainly did mean to 'knock other people's efforts' or be in any way derogatory, I thought just airing an opinion on open-top motoring.

I fitted wind deflectors this year in response to 'passenger complaints', as in the past I never found it uncomfortable myself, even on very long journeys - maybe wearing a hat if it was a cold.

Mine are to the exact spec of the Pitstop article and work well, and for the few minutes they take to make are well worth a try before spending alot of time and effort on full screens - it may be that they are enough for you.

I'd draw the line at 400 miles in torrential rain though, and put the hood up!

Comment

Andrew, where did you source the hinges for the wind deflectors? I am a new member and still trying to find suppliers for various items.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
                          Bob, you can get hinges from www.Europaspares.com or from S&J Motors on 01257262881 (make sure you get ordinary hinges rather than the Marlin specific ones though).

As for suppliers, check out http://www.stefancarlton.net/index.php?menu=links&linkType=marlinSuppliers as I put in all the places I buy from or have seen mentioned by others.

Comment

Message originally posted by: Julian
                            Here's a photo of my wind deflectors, I've added it because they fold flat inside the sidescreens unlike most of the others I've seen that you either have to take off or stick out beyond the sidescreens when the roof is up.

Comment

Julian - I see no pics

Comment

Working...
                              X