Tax Disk Security, an interesting twist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Disk Security, an interesting twist

Watching a TV documentary last night about police and motorcyclists, my attention was caught by an interesting aspect of Tax Disk security relating to open vehicles.

The scenario was a Motorcycle Rally - Ace Café to Brighton, the police spotted a pillion riding without a helmet on a motorbike. They pulled the bike over and found that the riders were an American couple on holiday in the UK from a state where helmets are not compulsory. The pillion rider had a helmet with her but chose not to wear it.

The police checked the tax disk and found it was a copy. The bike had been hired from a large hire company, who responded to a call from the police at the roadside, stating that they had a problem with theft of tax disks, the bike was currently licensed and the original tax disk was held at head office. DVLA confirmed the bike was up to date with the license and were content. The pillion was given a warning about the helmet provided she continued the journey wearing one. No action was taken about the tax disk.

Is there a problem with loss of tax disks from Marlins?

It must be hard to make secure in an open car, even with a 'secure' motorcycle type tax disk holder. It isn't a problem I have had with open cars or motorbikes in the past but perhaps I have been lucky?

Is this a viable avenue to avoid tax disk theft?

Re: Tax Disk Security, an interesting twist

Unfortuantely there is an offence of failing to display a current tax disc. If you get a pedantic plod and they spot it is a copy then they will procsecute you. Also it would raise the question of there being another vehicle being driven with the same plates and another copy of the tax disc.
    The American probably got away with it because they could show that the bike was hired.

In my rallying days I knew of some guy who had 3 Hillman Imps he rallied (well it was one for ordinary use, one for 'practice' and a rally car proper) all with the same set of plates. Plod finally caught him......

Comment

On a similar vein, my local car parks changed to Pay and Display. Just in case the ticket blew away from under the wiper, I take a few photographs with my phone showing the date and time of the ticket, just in case.
      They have since increased their charges and I now park on street where no tickets are required.

Comment

Originally posted by stevejgreen View Post
        On a similar vein, my local car parks changed to Pay and Display. Just in case the ticket blew away from under the wiper, I take a few photographs with my phone showing the date and time of the ticket, just in case.
        They have since increased their charges and I now park on street where no tickets are required.
        I do the same! I also write my Reg No in a blank area of the ticket to try to deter potential thieves! On my to-do list is a secure see-through holder for this!

Comment

Have just been reading an article in March CMM paper that the DVLA are considering doing away with the paper tax disk as ANPR cameras do the job. Posting out the disks costs over four and a half million pounds each year. Have never lost a Tax Disc or a parking ticket even leaving the car parked overnight with the hood down.
          A pocket for the parking ticket is a good idea saves messing about with sticky tape.
          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by b.caswell View Post
            Have just been reading an article in March CMM paper that the DVLA are considering doing away with the paper tax disk as ANPR cameras do the job. Posting out the disks costs over four and a half million pounds each year. Have never lost a Tax Disc or a parking ticket even leaving the car parked overnight with the hood down.
            A pocket for the parking ticket is a good idea saves messing about with sticky tape.
            Paper free systems are fine when they work!

I was once stopped by DVLA ANPR. They said my car was not taxed. I had a hand written tax disc, and luckily still had the receipt for its purchase from a post office, otherwise I would have had the car impounded on the spot.

Once upon a time there were human beings in the system, now it's electronic and less easy to debate.

An idea adopted in Spain and other countries is an adhesive MOT sticker. That would be much better than a Tax Disc especially if you had to tax the car when an MOT was issued. Two things done simultaneously.

Comment

We use to have a part of the MoT certificate that could be peeledof and stuck to a windscreen. These have disappeared with the advent of the new MoT system. We only receive a printout from the MoT station. The MoT pass is recorded and saved on the VOsA system for use by the ANPR gubbins.
              Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
              X