Progress to date: Robert's Roadster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress to date: Robert's Roadster

Not sure if this is going to post even...

Hi everyone, I have collected my first Marlin from it's original owner who had laid it up for about 25 years in a wood. I dragged it out with a winch, still on the trailer which returned it from a failed MOT all that time ago.

This is thought to be the 18th Marina Marlin kit built and used a 1275 van as the donor. I was involved with the original build, back in the early eighties, doing the wiring and helping with various welding and assembly tasks

I first started this project about a month before Easter this year. Have spent several weekends gradually prepared the car for it's extraction from the woods. Two weekends ago we finally winched it out, dragged the car off the old trailer and lifted it onto a borrowed trailer to take to temporary storage until I resolve the V5 issue. (it doesn't currently have a V5, it's lost by the PO).

The car is in a bad way, very rusty, and everything is rotten. The back axel is rusted through and leaking EP90. The fuel tank disintegrated when I tapped it to check for fuel Fire risk? NOT. The engine is seized rock solid, coolant pipes fallen apart and perished. I can't shift the gear lever. The wheels go round now after much persuasion with a big hammer. The only good thing I have discovered is the oil level is normal and the oil is clean.

A twist to this tale is that while I was researching Trials Marlins (I want to trial it) I recognised an old friend of mine who it seems has been very successful trialling Marlins. I contacted this old friend, it turned out it was him, and to cut long story short, he no longer competes with Marlins. But, he still has an un-started project, a Triumph based kit which has never been completed or run, which he had intended to re-build one of his highly successful cars onto but I suspect the impetus of youth has waned a bit.

Apparently it was fitted with a Ford engine and gearbox but no front suspension or steering?

As part of the deal i have gained 27 tyres and some assorted wheels. Four brand new doors, two steel, and two aluminium, and three rear Marina axels, one close to new. I have discarded the diff and casing because the teeth were badly pitted, both the crown-wheel and diff pinions. I have kept the half shafts and brakes which are perfect. There is also most of a smoky 1800 B series engine. I collected the parts and tyres this weekend, about 230 mile trip.

Next weekend I plan to trailer the rolling chassis back. I will probably have some parts surplus, so once I have established what I actually need I will make the surplus available to members here. I don't do fleaBay any more.

There will probably be two rear wings one new and un drilled but both are a bit damaged but repairable. A new rear body with the spare wheel area dished for the wheel, drilled but unpainted. Possibly the windscreen cover panel inside and out, both new. Two pairs of doors, and some other parts, inc Marina Discs, suspension and other misc bits and pieces.

Robert

Re: Progress to date

OK, great, it posted!

Now to try posting a couple of pix...
    Attached Files

Comment

The project will slow again while I apply for the V5, in the mean time I need to learn some about the Triumph chassis differences compared with the Marlin chassis. I also want to weigh up various features of the Marlin and try to understand them better.

I have noticed the front of the chassis on the Triumph design is very different from the Marina design, the differences are far greater than simply the suspension mounting points. I need to understand how the Marina body parts will interface with the Triumph chassis.

If anyone can comment on this I would appreciate it. I am planning a spartan trials car build using the A Series motor rebuilt, the body from the black Marlin and the new Triumph chassis. Simplicity and light weight being the overriding features.
      Attached Files

Comment

Theres another thread on here that I think Steve Green posted with some chassis measurements. I dont think one setup is interchangable with the other - in any case the triumph herald bits are probably easier to get hold of

Comment

Thanks for the info Cameron, I have searched but not found.

Once I have a result with the V5 I will strip the Marina car completely and create a CAD drawing of the critical areas of the chassis. If anybody can post a link to the post I would appreciate it. From what little I know of the Marlin it seems to me the radiator cowl and the flat aluminium parts either side of the engine bay will be different but maybe the front wings will be the same?

I plan to alter the engine side panels making them removable and making louvers for improved cooling. Possibly louvering or making vents for the bonnet too.

I think the rear end is Marina, just like my other chassis. As soon as I get the other chassis I will post the chassis number so perhaps we can identify it.

Comment

Hi that looks like quite a project.

Good luck with the V5 and Road Tax. Even though the car has obviously been off the road for several years before SORN was introduced, so no Road Tax reminders whould have been sent, the DVLA if in an obstructive mood, will demand the outstanding tax. That was pretty much the reaction I got until I took a large file of old MOT certs, photos etc etc to the loca DVLA office and saw someone face to face.

I do not have a dimensioned drawing, only a copy of a drawing from Pitstop. Its posted on the Marina Roadster Group page.

From my limited understanding of Triumph chassis and body none, if any, of the front body parts are interchangeable and I doubt that the rear is the same either unless your car is a Hybrid that I rather suspect it might be.
            The person to ask is probably Ben Caswell, the Triumph Rep.

If the rear axle is a beam type the chances are it's Marina but if the donor was a Marina van, this could be a Van axle, much sought after by the Trials drivers as it has a much higher ratio. Over on KeepAndShare, I have shared copies of BL Workshop manuals that will help you identiy the axle at http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4204...1-pm-631k?da=y and http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4204...1-pm-671k?da=y. You have to register and become my 'friend' to read them. A quick and FREE process.

Hope that all helps.
            MOC member since 05/97
            1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
            1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
            Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

There is plenty of Tea around here Steve so I live in hope this works out.

Fingers crossed on the road tax. Up to now DVLA have been very helpful, let's hope they stay that way for the critical bit.

Thank for the info, I should have the second rolling Chassis by next weekend so I can start measuring for myself. While I can see there may be some differences particularly the upswept front chassis extensions, I would have thought I could cobble something together. This is to be functional, not pretty. If I have to pop rivet some bit's of aluminium in here or there, so be it.

I think the axle on the first Marina Marlin will be a van axle, the PO warned me it's very skittish in the wet, possibly because of a low axle ratio? I know they are pretty light too, so it may be a combination of low ratio and light weight. However it isn't the sought after axle because they have a larger PCD, 4.5 inch I think (same as MGB?). This axle has a PCD of 3.75 inch - so must be Marina or similar.

The second new chassis definitely has a beam axle believed to be Marlin so yes, a hybrid. One of the things which has been puzzling me is the mounts on top of the Triumph suspension turrets, The PO and I were trying to figure what they were for but I think they were for the Triumph engine mountings, I think some sort of strut brace might be good there, might double as a radiator mounting perhaps.

Comment

A couple of weekends work ther then. Should be a good little project. What trials are you planning on doing? I compete in mine.

Comment

http://www.wheelspin.info/cars/marlin.htm This is a really good site. Click on section begins at the bottom.

Comment

Occasional trials, I really want to do the Lands End, but the logistics may challenge me, living in South Lakeland. I have spectated on the Lands End many times. I have done PCT's with Morecambe Car Club years ago. Have driven diggers and excavators all my life so have a feel for the rough and slippery surface. I can't afford to compete big time but just something to keep me amused and active really.

I knew of this Marlin and that it had been abandoned in my friends wood for many years, I saw him last year and just asked if he still had it. Then before Easter this year I popped up to his place, I got out of the car, he was feeding the chickens, "You come about the Marlin?" he said! 'Well yes!' was my reply. "Take it if you want it" So I have but he has lost the V5. He thinks he still has the original V1 log book but he can't find that either.

Comment

I think that was how I found this forum actually. And I found my old friend there too, which eventually led to the second Marlin rolling chassis. He is mentioned in the list of owners of trialling Marlins on the wheelspin site, I felt an electric shock when I saw his name. I hadn't seen him since about 1966, remarkably and amazingly, within a mile of where my Marlin had lain since about 1988.

Comment

Ha is all good. Funny how you find people. Some of us go from minehead motor club every year to do the lands end. Iv done the last 2 first 1 was in my beetle then i upgraded to the marlin which is very good just a shame i had 3 punctures, my dad had 3 in his beetle and blew his engine. We do a monthly PCT all over exmoor. Shame your far away were crying out for new members.

Comment

Hi Robert.

What a shame the club was camped near Penrith for the Lakes run at the weekend, you could have popped in for a chat and a look.

The Triumph chassis you have is a Hybrid chassis so the rear tub, rear wings are the same the front top wing depends on if both cars are the same wheel base as do the doors. The LWB is 6 inches longer in the door.
                          The inner front wing on the hybrid doesnt have the cut away for the rack as it it sits under the front but the nose cone should be OK except for the small cut away again for the rack. The bonnet will be some where near to a fit but the engine side panels on a Marina car slope at the bottom and wont fit the hybrid.

I also notice from your pics of the hybrid that the bulkhead has been seriously modified and I am not sure if you could make the Marina one fit although a couple of early hybrids did have the Marina bulkhead. You will need to have a try and see with that.

For the register I would be interested in the hybrid chassis number its on the n/s front chassis iron.

Ben Caswell TR Tech rep
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your interest.

I was aware of the Lakes meet but this collection of Marlins and parts has been arranged for a while and couldn't be moved because of fitting in with other schedules. The trailer is normally used to transport a race car most weekends. Next time perhaps?

I am pretty sure the cars are both short wheelbase, so in that case the wings should be usable. I am concerned about the front chassis extensions sloping up but until I have both chassis next to each other I won't really be able to compare. Your comments however are reassuring. Regarding the flat panels I envisaged replacing them anyway because I want to make them removable to make it easier to access to the engine. Probably wit a couple of bolts or clips. I also hope to create louvers in the side panels to aid cooling.

The tab with the chassis number is present on the hybrid chassis. It was hard to read where the chassis was lying so I decided to wait until I get it home. It may be a known project, perhaps even been owned by a Member here. The PO did comment to me that the bulkhead seemed very non standard, he was not party to the mods.

It seems this kit had been started, a Ford engine and gearbox had been fitted but no front suspension had been sourced. The project appears to have been abandoned by the original builder, then bought by my friend who intended to rebuild his second Marina Marlin onto it, because he wanted the Triumph suspension. My friend did nothing with it except acquire the front suspension and dispose of the Ford engine and gearbox.

Once I get the rolling chassis home I will take more photographs. I need to understand what the differences are. I am not completely content with several aspects of the design but can't really comment until I understand the design better. The seating and floor seems too low for a trials car. I don't like the way the shelf behind the windscreen sticks out so far. The lack of higher mountings for seat belts is an issue, perhaps a rear roll bar could be created to accommodate seat belt mountings.

One thing I am concerned about is the mounts on the top of the triumph suspension units which I believe are intended to support the Triumph engine, they seem to me to need some sort of brace to keep them apart. The original principle that they supported the engine was good but if no engine weight is imposed there they will need additional support especially given I intend to use this car for endurance trialling.

Much to think about, even more to do.

Comment

Hi
                              The Fellside auto club run the Northern Trial in easy reach of you. We also try and run PCTs from time to time. We have 7 marlins among our members including one built by your old friend (also a very old friend of mine, I recognised the garage and motorhome. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Working...
                              X