Out for a run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out for a run

Done a few more little jobs on the Marlin, I removed the tow hitch, removed all the weld, tidied it up and painted the tube etc, ( Yesterday) I also had to remove the passenger seat to adjust the seat belt for the other half to come along ( First time I've ever done that) I later took the other half up over the moors in it - er - what can I say, she complained about everything - too fast ?? too low, too noisy, too cold, too windy, I'm a crap driver, I'm an erratic driver, and too bumpy, I must say, I had to stop after 10 minutes to wipe the tears of laughter from my eyes as I could no longer see where I was going, also the sun was very low in the sky and I was driving with my head out the side as we could see bugger all out the window ( which also impressed her ). So today, after work, I went for a 40 mile round trip to Higher Wych and back home, I enjoyed it, a good mix of roads and not much traffic, the old motor run very well all considered.

Re: Out for a run

Hi Harry, all "other halves" must be fitted with the same anti Marlin gland. Reading your post was just like being out in Ruby with her indoors on board. They really should have made them a single seater!

Comment

I could not agree more. The only time my better half had a ride out in mine coincided with one of the rear shockers deciding to try and dismantle itself. Which, as anyone who has had a similar experience will know results in what can only be described as a kind of rear wheel steering.Feels most peculiar! As if that was'nt enough, as we drove onto our driveway there was smoke coming out of the louvres in the bonnet. Turned out to be the condensor giving up. Lucky not to be in the middle of nowwhere. Needless to say, my good lady has not been in the car since, which is a shame because although she also complains about my general driving, I actually think that when in the Marlin I drive more slowly due to the impression of speed being greater , if that makes sense. David

Comment

I just made the mistake of showing my other half the above comments!!! To be honest she enjoys going out in my Roadster, and earlier this morning she asked was the local Kit Car club having their "Run Out". We do not know whether they have a "Men Only" rule, as Judy is usually the only lady at our outings. Last Saturday we went down to Watchet and Minehead, places we go to on a regular basis, admittedly Saturday was a lot warmer than our visit to Wheddon Cross to see the Snowdrops, back in February. Not bad for a couple over 70, that is our age, not the speed of the car!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by copperleaves11 View Post
          I could not agree more. The only time my better half had a ride out in mine coincided with one of the rear shockers deciding to try and dismantle itself. Which, as anyone who has had a similar experience will know results in what can only be described as a kind of rear wheel steering.Feels most peculiar! As if that was'nt enough, as we drove onto our driveway there was smoke coming out of the louvres in the bonnet. Turned out to be the condensor giving up. Lucky not to be in the middle of nowwhere. Needless to say, my good lady has not been in the car since, which is a shame because although she also complains about my general driving, I actually think that when in the Marlin I drive more slowly due to the impression of speed being greater , if that makes sense. David
          David

Thanks for sharing those images with us - I am crying with laughter as I write - arriving on the drive with smoke pouring out of the louvres must have been the icing on the cake for your good lady!
          Marlins seem to know just when to let you down!!
          (I'm still crying......!)

Mike

Comment

Just remember guys that some of us love driving Marlins and being in them however cold, windy, wet, etc etc!

Comment

GUYS Wait until you have to get your own tea with grease up to your elbows before you say too much!!
              Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

Originally posted by lizbillings View Post
                Just remember guys that some of us love driving Marlins and being in them however cold, windy, wet, etc etc!

Well done Liz - keep the fairer sex flag flying - Doug is a lucky fellow!

Comment

Hi all. Marlins are noted for their impeccable sense of timing. I'm loath to say that I've never had any further misbehaviour (for fear of tempting fate), however , up to now it's the truth. With regard to knowing where the seat of power is in this household, I'm under no illusions whatsoever, I capitulated years ago and it's proved the best route to a quite life. David

Comment

It has to be said that whilst I applaud Mr Moorhouse's fantastic design of the Roadster, in my humble opinion and ( covering all bases) without predujice would suggest that during the design stages the drivers left ear could have been given a little more distance from the passengers oral department. True with the A series under running board exhaust system there is the opportunity to fit a " straight thro " system but as many of us have discovered this is only effective when motoring and not a lot of help when you stop. Only joking, really.Nothing gives me more pleasure than to have the Mehmsaab on board. Teee Heee

Comment

Just wondering, how many other halves have driven their other halve's Marlins and did they like it? Mine has, but being new to the game, the Marlin, not the wife, she's been around for years, only once, and so have my kids. They all enjoyed driving it, my son even said it has street cred, and he's 26. Never had street cred before!
                      I'm made up!
                      Gareth.

Comment

This takes me back to my Roadster days
                        Always seemed to have problems "the Management" was onboard
                        So I moved on to a "sorted" Cabrio which she liked a whole lot better so much so that we booked atrip to Spain last year.
                        Following the 20hr Ferry crossing which left her feeling well out of sorts,pushing the Cabrio out of the Ferry Terminal,waiting for recovery and the fitting of new alternator in a back street of Santander thought here we go again!
                        Still sitting outside of the Garage for 2 hrs or so in 25+deg heat did give her a nice tan,even if it was of a red-ish hue (well very red actually!!)
                        But on a lighter note once that was out of the way the rest of the trip was fantastic with great driving,weather ,scenery,food and drink, more than 1700 "smiles" later she was again happy so much so that she wants to do it all again this year!
                        Doh I suppose I'll have to then!!!!!
                        Cheers
                        Bryan
                        Stapley Bryan

Comment

What an interesting read, relating everyones experiences using a Marlin. The only fact I forgot to mention is, that even in the middle of winter all our motoring is undertaken without a hood up as "the old un's cannot bend like they used to", at least we have doors !!!!!!!!!! Judy & David

Comment

I have owned 3 roadsters and a Berlinetta. Think the one I enjoyed most was my green roadster which we took to Ireland and France.
                            Going to Norway in the Cabrio was good too but I have to be careful in the Cabrio as its not mine and any scratch etc would upset Doug so much!!

Comment

Into my 2nd year with "Hilary Hunter" my other woman as Jan my wife calls her. Great to have some fine weather at last so we can enjoy the fresh air.
                              Jan keeps asking when she can drive, so she must be enjoying being out in her. I play the old tack that it's alot heavier to steer (rubbish of course) than her own car and needs to be nurtured along without gear crunchin. I must find an old airfield for a safe solo flight for her first drive.
                              I have to say that after a great annual service by my local guy (I am not the best of mechanics) she performs great, meaning Hilary of course.
                              A new hood being fitted in a few weeks then she too will be as pretty as a picture just like Jan (this last sentence is for benefit of Jan who will surely check out the website!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X