• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what engine will fit in to marlin swb

Message originally posted by: ssid
    its got 1.8 merina

Re: what engine will fit in to marlin swb

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
    What engine do you want to fit? I know of a gent putting a Straight 8 monster into a LWB - just a case of having the ability.

Standard choices are Alfa Romeo Twin Cam, or the B-Series from a Marina, but it depends on how much fettling you want to do. The only limitation is the location of the pedal box and steering column - move those and any 4cylinder engine will fit, don't move them and only the two previously mentioned will (easily).

Comment

hi ssid
      i have a ford 1600 x flow in my swb i must admit i did not fit it but i do not feel there are any alterations to the origanal layout, other then engine mountings

Comment

My son has 2litre pinto in his ,or how about rover 'k' series with a ford 5 speed box,maybe even a engine /gearbox from a Mazda MX5.a s Stefan says it's only a matter of engineering talent or deep pockets!

Comment

I keep stressing this but (in my opinion) the best alternative is the FIAT twincam - any size, 1600, 1800 or 2000. The inlets and exhausts are on the correct sides so no messing about with the column and the later 5 speed 'box has an extension that puts the gearlever in exactly the right position. They also have rubber doughnuts in the drivetrain that absorbs much of the shock from the notoriously fragile driveshafts. The tailshaft on the later boxes fits the noseshaft on the Marina propshaft dictating the position of the engine mountings and the aforementioned gearstick position. Power outputs are from 90+ to 115bhp giving spirited performance and because they are 8 valve units there is loads of torque yet they can rev to 7000 without worry.

Having said this, I've seen a few interesting Roadsters with the Rover 3.5 V8 this year. Hmmmm.............

Comment

... and as I've said many times before, don't embark lightly on an engine swop 'cos it's never as easy as you think it's going to be but, if you must, fit a Fiat Twin Cam!

Although ... the jury seems to be 'out' on how easy it is to sources spares for this engine/gearbox combination with some owners saying that everything is easy to find and others saying they are having trouble.

One big advantage of the x-flow (and the B-Series) is that spares ARE readily available and are likely to remain that way for a very long time.

Comment

You can't beat a Triumph straight six (2000cc or better still 2500cc) siljy smooth and enormour bottom end torque: with an overdrive gearbox purrrrrrrfect.
              Until you decide the M50 BMW is a much more sophisticated power plant.................
              Mike

Comment

Fiat twin cam engine on e-bay minus manifold and carb!

Comment

thanks lads i will have to think about this or ive tought about a carb because no room 4 the air filter on the 1.8 merina lump or what 5 speed box will go on merina lump

Comment

Message originally posted by: Stefan Carlton
                    5 speed gearboxes is a common question here - do a quick search through the forum here and you'll find the older thread.

With regards to air-filters, that also an old story Some manage to get 1/4" pancake filters on, whereas others can't. Some have no running problems, others do... I plumped for getting scoop fitted (see my website for pics) and it's worked a charm.

Comment

Why not go for something modern and easy to work on and get spares for. The Ford duratec as fitted to the mondeo comes with 160bhp as standard. You can easily fit a 5 speed box to it and the fuel inlet is on the passenger side so no probs with steering column.
                      This will be my next choice when the Fiat twin cam dies.
                      Mk2 SWB Marina Roadster with a 1800 Fiat Twin Cam engine and 5 speed Abarth gearbox built in 1987
                      - I have no idea what I am talking about........ but my advice is always free! -

Comment

Mmmm.. the Triumph straight six 2500 is fantastic. I once went for lunch in a pub during a kit show years ago and parked next to a silver roadster - the very friendly complete stranger let me drive off in his car on my own for a test!

As he predicted while I was gone, I came back white and shaking a little :-)

Comment

A straight six wont fit in a Marina base roadster because the steering rack is in the way.Keep it simple is my advice why make things difficult.
                          Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

I see no mention of the O series ITAL engine in the previous. My 2litre OHC on a 4speed Morris box is about 100bhp on a single SU (and I believe designed for unleaded) goes very well,is compatible,and retains the MORRIS theme for shows. Anybody else got a Marina Roadster like this ?

Comment

Working...
                            X