timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing

can someone tell me the correct timing for 1988 2lt pinto engine ?

Re: timing

Its 10* BTDC on leaded head or 6* on unleaded head. To find if your cylinder head is unleaded it will have a identification of the following stamped on the cyl head next to no 4 spark plug, L, P, PP, R, OR RR.

Comment

thanks , the head has an I stamp and have found out this is for an injection head ,as it is fitted with a carb i am getting confused???? internet seems to think its ok and just drive....

Comment

Most injection heads were manufactured for unleaded ,so a budget way to go unleaded as the head of the injection engine can have carb fitted, but not the other way around.

Comment

Hi, the injection head should be fine wth unleaded. Depending on which camshaft you have fitted it is best to set the timing at in excess of 3000 rpm. A good starting point here is 30° BTDC but the dear old pinto will take near to 40°BTDC although pinking may become a factor in the carb engine. Try 30° BTDC for a start and see what difference small increases make until you are happy with the rsults. My Pinto (injected) is happy running at 35° at the moment. It is difficult for me to set idle advance as the high lift/long duration cam makes idling a bit lumpy. Always mark the dizzy before adjusting so that if the adjustment makes things worse, you have a mark to return to where it ran OK. Good luck with it.
          Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Working...
          X