16000 mile report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16000 mile report

This week I have made the 80 mile a day round trip every day in sunshine across glorious Dorset.

I’ve done just over 16000 miles since my Cabrio got through IVA in September 2009. It has been basically trouble free motoring and it has let me down just once, when the crankshaft sensor failed.
    Other problems have been
    - I have worn out 2 sets of rear tyres
    - I’ve warped the front disks.
    - The engine, which had done 130k miles became a bit smoky if left to idle then driven off. It turned out to be worn valve guides so I had the head re-furbished.
    - It failed its first MOT in 2012 because the tester did not know which emissions test to run, so he did not test it but failed it anyway. It finally got sorted out and passed, but marginally.
    - It started running a bit rough at about MOT time and I fixed that by re-building the carb with a new repair kit.
    - I‘ve had to rust treat the underside as the powder coating was peeling off.
    - Initially it used a small amount of water, this was caused by having a standard filler in the top hose and an expansion bottle mounted on the bulkhead. When it voided any pressure it did it from the standard filler and lost a small quantity of water. I blanked off the overflow pipe and fitted a cap that sealed the top of the filler.

I am a bit of a functionalist so since the car seems to be working I haven’t been tempted to add any bling to it, though it has been interesting watching others polish and fettle their cars.

Re: 16000 mile report

Seems all good news Chris, yours must be one of the more used Marlins

Ref rear tyres, have you checked tracking etc I know it's a standard Cabrio problem. My Hunter had toe in on the rear and was wearing tyres, so I've shimmed the two forward drive shaft bolts
    each side , and using the basic "bit of string" technique it now looks better, so I'm waiting to see what happens to the tyre wear

.............and as for the oxymoron "Marlin powder coating" nuff said...the whole d**n underside and all suspension bits in my case.

Rgds DC

Comment

Hi DC,
      Thanks for the advice about the tracking. I was aware of the problem, and I have had the front/rear tracking checked by two different garages, both confirming that the alignment was in spec for a sierra.

And yes, cars are to be used. Best claim to fame is I have used it with the roof off when it has been minus 7 and snowing.
      Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
        Hi DC,
        Thanks for the advice about the tracking. I was aware of the problem, and I have had the front/rear tracking checked by two different garages, both confirming that the alignment was in spec for a sierra.

And yes, cars are to be used. Best claim to fame is I have used it with the roof off when it has been minus 7 and snowing.
        Chris
        Hi Chris. My Hunter used to eat rear tyres until I shimmed the rear hub carriers. Your tracking may have been checked by the garage as ok for a Sierra but that doesn't mean it's ok for a Marlin. From memory my old Sierra had about 5mm toe in at the rear and my hunter was similar before the shimming. Derek Jones originally started a thread some while ago about this, which is what put me on to the shimming fix. There have been several posts since then. Well worth folllowing up. Peter.

Comment

Thanks Guys,
          I'll look into shimming the rear end, as it does toe in slightly.
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chris.cussen View Post
            Thanks Guys,
            I'll look into shimming the rear end, as it does toe in slightly.
            Chris
            Chris. The trick is to get hold of a pack of Series Land Rover front trunnion shims. Assorted thicknesses and you can cut each one to make four shims! Also as you only shim three of the four bolts (the first one becomes the datum) and due to the fact that the hub / wheel is pivoting about the carrier you will find that you need less shim than you may try to calculate. This is because the "outward" movement of the front of the wheel causes an "inwards" movement at the rear of the wheel. Peter.

Comment

I had a search for the Landrover trunnion shims, and failed, but I've found many shims in Radio Spares (RS) of varying thickness from 0.1mm to 2mm.
              Yesterday I went to County Tyres in Weymouth who don't charge for doing wheel alignment checks, only if they have to adjust something, The interesting results were:
              NS Front camber -1.80 degrees, OS -0.9 degrees
              NS Rear Toe in 3.8mm, OS 3.0mm

Looks like a bit of measuring and calculating required this weekend.
              Plan is to get the rear wheels close to parallel and to get the camber at the front to be 0.9degrees on both sides.

Comment

FWIW after 500 miles or so a ride height adjustment and mk1 eyeball adjustment on the toe in seems to have balanced out the rear tyre wear....now wait to see if they wear the other way !

Then of course must do something on the fronts...Chris did you get any caster readings for yours ? What's your self centering like ? I have bought a Corsa electric steering thingy for
                a winter project, however I've been told that getting the caster right means you won't really have heavy steering.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure about caster, it is shown on the print out as 0.00 for both sides, which is unlikely.

The front was put together as it came out of the box so to speak, and there is a reasonable degree of self centring. Well it passed IVA without any fettling.
                  Parking is OK even with a 14 inch steering wheel.
                  I'm running on 205 55-15 tyres by the way.

Comment

My Kwikfit printout says caster +6ish one side and +4ish the other, one of these days I'll look at it

Comment

Working...
                    X