Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syphoning a petrol tank - Skoda Fabia (not Marlin)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syphoning a petrol tank - Skoda Fabia (not Marlin)

Hi Guys
    This may seem a strange place to write about my wife's Skoda Fabia, but bear with me there is a relevance. In a few days we are part exchanging her Fabia for a new model, and SOD's Law gets in the way as the car has a nearly full petrol tank. Of course, I cannot expect the dealer to compensate us for this occurrence. So I set about trying to syphon out about 7 gallons of this expensive fluid with a syphon pump. No joy! Only about 3 feet of the syphon tubing goes down the tank, and stops, but it cannot reach into any petrol.

Question: Is it likely that Skoda have built in an anti-syphon mesh or other obstruction? This is were the Marlin connection comes in - the syphon works a treat in my Hunter tank!

My other possible option might be to suck out the petrol at the engine end of the plumbing, but If I start disconnecting tubing I might get myself into more trouble than it is worth. Anybody ideas on this?

Cheers
    Mike

Re: Syphoning a petrol tank - Skoda Fabia (not Marlin)

It could be something as simple as a filter fitted to stop any crap getting in to the tank which may be deposited from the petrol pump. I have flown a few different aircraft and they have several filters in line to stop rubbish getting in and stopping the engine mid flight.

Comment

Have a look at this video and it will explain why you cant get the tube down into the fuel in the tank. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k39E2PRofIo
      Last edited by b_caswell; 22-06-13, 09:50 AM.
      Ben Caswell probably not the last word on anything here!!

Comment

It can not be explained any better than that.

Comment

Danny,

I once sucked on a tube to syphon petrol and got a mouth full and was ill for days, so its not worth the bother.

Comment

I have sucked the pipe a few times Bob!! I dont think I would bother now

Comment

Hi Mike
              Several years ago I did the stupid thing of putting Diesel in my Petrol (hands up who ain't been there!!) on a German motorway,They wheeled me into a workshop stuffed a length of hose into filler along with an airline from their compressor sealing filler neck with a rag and blew the duff fuel straight into a 40 gallon drum.
              The whole job including a refill of the correct fuel was complete in minutes and we were on our way,this was a Vauxhall astra circa 1987 so no idea if they had filters etc those days but if you could get a good seal it may work?
              Regards
              Bryan
              Stapley Bryan

Comment

Working...
              X