Mondeo keeps cutting out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mondeo keeps cutting out.

Hi everyone, my other car is a diesel Mondeo. Today it decided to cut out after a few seconds from starting. I tried it several times and always the same. It starts fine but whether I rev it or let it idle it cuts out after the same few seconds. I've been a member of the AA for so long and hardly use them that they gave me complementary home start so I called them out. After an hour he gave up and offered me a tow to the nearest garage, which I declined for now.

So it's over to the Marlin owners, the real experts! The car is a TDI so not the common rail TDCI. The car is an oldie but was a goodie until today and has never let me down in 4 years. Any ideas?

Re: Mondeo keeps cutting out.

Originally posted by scott h View Post
    Hi everyone, my other car is a diesel Mondeo. Today it decided to cut out after a few seconds from starting. I tried it several times and always the same. It starts fine but whether I rev it or let it idle it cuts out after the same few seconds. I've been a member of the AA for so long and hardly use them that they gave me complementary home start so I called them out. After an hour he gave up and offered me a tow to the nearest garage, which I declined for now.

So it's over to the Marlin owners, the real experts! The car is a TDI so not the common rail TDCI. The car is an oldie but was a goodie until today and has never let me down in 4 years. Any ideas?
    Hi Scott

Have you tried replacing the fuel filter(s)?

I had a lawn mower that drove me mad - it would run for a few minutes, then die, but would start up immediately if left for a few minutes - only to die again.
    It turned out that the in-tank filter (the size and shape of a tea bag) was totally clogged to a point where it vacuumed itself flat. I washed it out thoroughly, and it now runs a treat.

Mike

Comment

Is the tank still vented? eg have you recently replaced the fuel filler cap and it was originally the type that vented through a tiny hole in it. As Mike says, the engine will vacuum itself to a standstill and stop and after a while air will find its way back in to release the vacuum and off you go again for a little while. The duration will be inversely proportional to the amount of fuel in the tank

Comment

Hi, probably no help in your situation but I recently helped a guy replace the engine in his [diesel] Focus estate. We couldn't get it to run. We checked the timing about ten times!! Eventually we started logical snag chasing and found that fuel was not entering the filter. The tank pick up had been blocked by gunge in the fuel tank. We had just about emptied the tank prior to this and must have stirred up sediment which then managed to negotiate the strainer, entered the pipe, and congealed. Application of a little compressed air blew the mank out of the pipe whence the engine started and ran nicely first flick.
        Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Going to look at it on Sunday and let you know how I get on.

Comment

On Friday when I called the AA they sent a local recovery company. After half an hour he suggested changing the fuel filter and if it's still the same to call the AA again and request a proper AA van with better diagnostic equipment. So new filter fitted today and still the same. Got a proper AA van out and he found some fault codes but nothing specific to my problem. He suggested a new fuel pump ( the electric lift pump that sits near the tank). So going to check the cost and hopefully fit it and that will be problem solved! Fingers crossed.

Comment

Putting the "teaching granny to suck eggs" to one side I assume you have tried disconnecting the fuel line and then getting someone to turn on the ignition whilst you catch the petrol in a suitably large container and letting it run for a while whilst you look at the flow rate. If you can get some hose that is resistant to petrol you could feed it straight back into the tank (but that wouldn't allow you to check for a vacuum being developed in the tank but at least it would show the performance if the pump before you incur the expense of replacing it)

Comment

Originally posted by keithh View Post
                Putting the "teaching granny to suck eggs" to one side I assume you have tried disconnecting the fuel line and then getting someone to turn on the ignition whilst you catch the petrol in a suitably large container and letting it run for a while whilst you look at the flow rate. If you can get some hose that is resistant to petrol you could feed it straight back into the tank (but that wouldn't allow you to check for a vacuum being developed in the tank but at least it would show the performance if the pump before you incur the expense of replacing it)
                Keith

Maybe that's its problem ! petrol in his diesel Mondeo !!

Comment

The second AA man did this and there was some fuel but not loads so that is why I'm going to try a new pump. Phoned the local motor factor today and they had one in stock. My mate went for it this afternoon but they neglected to say it was early closing cos it was a bank holiday!

Comment

Originally posted by CABRIOBOB View Post
                    Keith

Maybe that's its problem ! petrol in his diesel Mondeo !!
                    Ooops!

Comment

Just found this thread while looking for something else. The problem was a small diode, one of three located in the fuse box. An auto electrician friend of a friend sussed it straight away. So the car was back on the road after three weeks and lots of 'experts' looking at it.

Comment

Working...
                      X