BERLI ON E BAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BERLI ON E BAY

UNFINISHED BERLI,LOCATED LOUGHBOROUGH,WORTH A LOOK!

Re: BERLI ON E BAY

Message originally posted by: David Shuttleworth
    I bought this one. I suppose I should now join the Marlin owners club. Cant wait to finish it ad get it SVA'd

Comment

Honestly now, David, did you do a deal with the guy?! Why did he stop the auction a day early - I was going to bid a lot more than that!
      You lucky sod!

Comment

Hi David. I think you should join the Marlin Owners Club. We would be interested in hearing how you go on with finishing it and getting it SVA'd.

Comment

Incidentally, David, my post below on age-related plates was prompted by your car!
          I presume you don't have the V5 for the donor? However, with the reg number (ODT975R?) of the donor Cortina, along with the associated engine number, there is a very good chance you'll be able to get an age-related plate instead of a less-desirable 'Q' plate when you come to first register it.
          I don't know if it's possible to get a new V5 for the Cortina in your name but, if you can, I think this would help your case.
          If, when you come to register it, the peeps at your local DVLA office try to palm you off with a 'Q', argue your case: two major parts (eg: engine and g'box) from the same donor, along with evidence of it's age (reg & engine numbers) should be enough (see the DVLA link below).
          (All this, of course, provided you are bothered about the type of plate you'll get!).
          Good luck (still seething, of course...)

Comment

Message originally posted by: Sue Roedel (MOC, Editor)
            Hi David

You can join the Owner's Club on line. Just go to the Membership page....

Comment

Sorry Ihave not read nor replied to the above comments before, As I have only just collected the Berlineta. So have now decided to join the club, hence reading it now. I did not collect the Berlineta before as I did not want to work on it outside in the cold.
              Yes I am sorry (Ive got to say Im not really, but you know what I mean) but I must admit I did do a deal to end the auction early. Just for info I bought the car for ?1000 but ended the auction at 750 (ish) I believe I got a real bargain but the seller appaered pleased as the car was going to a good home (I must add he was a really nice guy). PS how do you know the donor details I hae reams of paperwork but have missed the details, I will check again.

Thanks for the nice replies and sorry again but rest assured I will give the Berlineta a good home and will complete the work to get her on the road. Hopefully see you at the Donnington Rally !

Comment

Hi David. The seller was able to tell me the reg number of the donor even tho' he didn't have the V5. A check on the DVLA site still showed it existed, so I guess it hadn't been 'scraped' yet.
                It might be worth trying to obtain a new V5 doc in your name asap, so you'll have it available when the dreaded registration day comes - it would be a shame to have it 'Q'-ed!
                (If you have real difficulties getting the genuine donor V5, I've been told an alternative solution is to buy a cheap Cortina, register it in your name, change the engine details to that of the one in your Berli, and then, er, pretend the whole car is from that donor...) Don't know how true this is!
                I confess I was a bit incensed about losing the sale at the time (something similar had happened a couple of times before and I was getting paranoid it was a conspiracy...), but I appreciate I'm probably better off without the potential worry of SVA-ing!
                Thanks for being so honest, and I do wish you the very best with a successful completion (no doubt with the help of the club!). Once I get a Berli myself I'm sure we'll meet up!

Comment

Message originally posted by: David Shuttleworth
                  Thanks Donnie for the reply, Im sure you understand that when I did the deal I did it because it was right for me, and at the time there did not appear to be to much interest on E bay for the car. (I know that may sound a little selfish but I did not honestly think about the fact that I may be upsetting anyone)I think It also helped me in that I only live about 15 mins aay from the Berli' so I think that persauded the seller (Dave) to do the deal. I must agree it is slightly worrying that I must now get the car SVA'd, Awory I could have done without !

Anyway I hope you get the Berli' you want at a price that is right for you. If I can be of any help (and I dont know how, apart from in a few months I should have first hand experience of the SVA test). Please drop me a line

Dave !

Comment

Hi David. No problem.

As for SVA-ing, it might be worth getting hold of the government handbook, so that you can see the details they'll be looking for.
                    From looking at other sites and forums, some points I've picked up are: fit covers onto all visible, front-facing suspension nuts and bolt heads (wheel-nut covers will do, apparently); you might need anti-burst door catches (I simply don't know if std Berli ones are adequate here); the front edges of the wings and other body panels might be considered too sharp and require edge strips (eg: 'Tight 'n Fast' - which, ahem, could always 'fall off' afterwards...); the brake resorvoir must have a low level indicator light; a proper functioning screen demister; fuel lines, brake lines and exhaust must all be very secure and not be fouling or susceptible to damage; dashboard wiring must be neat (apparently they check using a mirror!), etc.

It's actually all pretty standard stuff and there for a good reason. It'll be very interesting - and useful - to hear how you get on; incredibly, there are still a few other unfinished Berli kits out there!

Best wishes.

Comment

Oh, and the speedo must be correctly calibrated, and the steering must self-centre...

Comment

Wow that sounds a real pain, Ill try and get the manual and see what it says (thats if its not written in goverment speak !)
                        Cheers Dave !

Comment

Working...
                        X