Oh Bugger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Bugger

Just tried to renew the tax (historic vehicle) online.

Failed miserably, it says it aint MOT'd !!.

Well, oh bugger, they are right. I completely forgot (expired in July).

Fortunately I have hardly used it at all this year from mid summer onwards - less than 200 miles this year (again !).

Maybe that's a hint about what I should do with it (happens every few years, I start thinking of selling then change my mind).

Neil.

Re: Oh Bugger

I always wondered, you get reminders for Insurance and reminders for Tax the DVLA system is allegedly all computerised and knows whether you have an MOT or not, but they don't send reminders. It can't be hard to organise and they might have a few more safe cars on the road. Not that yours wont sail through an MOT.

It is odd though, that you get reminders for things like TV licence but not for your driving licence, Can anyone explain why?
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

I thought there was an option for a reminder via TXT message to your mobile for MOT.

Comment

Blow me. Didn't know that service was available, but for less than £1.50 they could send a reminder by post the same as they do for Road Tax, since they are all computer generated. No good if you change your mobile number though.

When you need an MOT for your vehicle, what it costs, what happens if your vehicle fails, and how to get mistakes on the MOT certificate fixed.
        MOC member since 05/97
        1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Comment

Originally posted by neiltechspec View Post
          Just tried to renew the tax (historic vehicle) online.

Failed miserably, it says it aint MOT'd !!.

Well, oh bugger, they are right. I completely forgot (expired in July).

Fortunately I have hardly used it at all this year from mid summer onwards - less than 200 miles this year (again !).

Maybe that's a hint about what I should do with it (happens every few years, I start thinking of selling then change my mind).

Neil.
          If is a Historic Vehicle it no longer needs an MOT.

What is not advertised is that you need to take an MOT Exemption Certificate with you when renewing.
          See link:

I did this for my Classic and the nice lady at the Post Office just stamped it and gave it back to me with the new tax disc.

However if the Tax Disc is going to be discontinued, as per recent press info, one would hope that they get the online system sorted to allow MOT exempt vechicles to be renewed or there will be a lot of cars that are “untaxable”. Peter.

Comment

Wrong in this case, mine is 1970.

That MOT exemption (which I personally don't agree with anyway) only applies to vehicles manufactured before the 1st Jan 1960.

I think that every vehicle that is taken on the road should have an independent once over every year, although finding a MOT test centre that understands old cars can be a problem.

Neil.

Comment

I learned something here in Spain.
              Many UK cars that have been over here for six months or more either have no UK tax, no UK MOT and sometimes no insurance.
              You can't get a Spanish MOT (ITV) if the car is on UK plates, that seems sensible, but you can do one thing, get a Voluntary ITV. It does not have the same legal status but the Guardia Civil will accept it, the same as they recognise a reduced copy of your passport and paper driving licence, and not the originals, as roadside evidence, provided you can show valid UK tax and Insurance.

It seems sensible that you should be able to get a voluntary MOT. Is that same facility offered to pre 1960 MOT exempt vehicles?
              OK owners of pre 1960 vehicles may take more care, but as Mike so ably demonstrated with his IVA, even the most conscientious of us fits odd tyres or makes some such similar minor but important error.
              MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Yes you can get a voluntary MOT for pre '60 cars. My classic is 1955 and I fully re-commisioned it in 2005 so only the occasional items like bulbs and things liable to cause a hiccup. That said I plan to have an MOT about every 2 years as there are things (like brake hoses) that can only be properly checked when on the ramp with another pressing on the brake pedal. I am not sure where the decision to stop compulsory MOTs came from but it obviously wasn't thought through very thoroughly. I wonder how many unscrupulous people will buy a pre '60s car just to benefit from no tax or MOT costs and then drive them into the ground. Old unroadworthy "bangers" was the very reason that the MOTs were introduced in the first place. Peter.

Comment

Interesting. The Spanish system is clear, they expect any foreign (to them) registered car to be re registered in Spain after it has been permenantly in the country for six or more months, the voluntary ITV is a work around. But if your car fails its voluntary ITV it is still illegal to drive it on the road in Spain, France and the UK, provided you are driving it to a booked MOT test. The law to my knowledge does not stipulate a distance.

What is the situation if a Voluntary UK MOT is a failure, is there any obligation to have suitable repairs carried out, and submit the vehicle for re-test, or can you simply go and get a tax disc and carry on driving as if nothing has happened. Surely if for example major chassis rot is found, the car will be dangerous to drive, and that is an offence regardless of the vehicle age, but no MOT is required so drive away regardless.....?
                  MOC member since 05/97

Comment

MOT'd & renewed Tax today.

140 miles the past 12 months is all, really must try & use it a bit more next year.

Neil.

Comment

Sorted for another year.
                      Happy Xmas then.
                      MOC member since 05/97

Comment

Working...
                      X