Shetlands Classic Motor Show - June 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shetlands Classic Motor Show - June 2014

has anyone been to a previous show ? It is a long long way to go but I think I have just added it to my and Moll's bucket list !!
    PS Family think I've gone completely crazy...ho hum!
    Marlin Berlinetta 2.1 Efi

Re: Shetlands Classic Motor Show - June 2014

650 miles as the crow flies, nearer 850 miles by road and sea, SW - Aberdeen - Shetland, Ferry one way alone around £200+ for a 200 mile trip. And then the same back again!
    Perfectly plausible!

But why would you? Surely going south to a warmer climate would be preferable!

Oh alright then, give it a go! Does it make a La-Le, Lands End to Lerwick.
    MOC member since 05/97
    1984 Marlin Roadster SWB.
    1800TC, Unleaded ported head, stage 2 cam. Ford Type 9 gearbox, Dolomite Sprint rear axle fitted with MGF disc brakes.
    Three core radiator, Renault Clio vented front discs.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

Loads of Marlin Reference can be found documents here or there.

Comment

Yes Steve, it is a ludicrous, expensive, far distant idea. If I go I'll do a LEJOG, go via Scrabster around the houses to get to Kirkwall, and continue to the far north at Muckle Flugga making a LEJOG-Muflug. I don't think that there is a much further drive in UK (but no dount someone will say if there is!)
      The organisers have a ferry discount code but it still would be very dear, especially when attempting it in an old Marlin which may want to stop and sulk at any moment!
      There are only one or two ferries a day so one wouldn't want to risk missing one either.
      It is tempting but I have nervous reservations about deciding to go. Watch this space I suppose. Cheers for now.

Comment

Go or it, I did the Le Jog and relished every moment. Our cars are tougher than people think. To be honest I didn't do the whole thing just from High Wycombe to JOG and back in two days. Believe me you will end up talking to the car as a person and telling it that it is doing well every step of the way. You end up doing it for you and the car. No one can explain that feeling believe me. Good luck, I envy you. Adrian.

Comment

Originally posted by listerjp2 View Post
          Go or it, I did the Le Jog and relished every moment. Our cars are tougher than people think. To be honest I didn't do the whole thing just from High Wycombe to JOG and back in two days. Believe me you will end up talking to the car as a person and telling it that it is doing well every step of the way. You end up doing it for you and the car. No one can explain that feeling believe me. Good luck, I envy you. Adrian.
          Well, I wasn't sure whether I should go or not. So, I'm sitting in a lovely B&B near Tingwall! I'll relate the "fun" of sitting in a Berli for 900 miles in 20 hours (solo trip). Two ferries later I'm feeling "tired". I routed Liz to LE to JOG, ferry Scrabster to Stromness, superb 17 mile drive to Kirkwall then 8 hour ferry to Lerwick. I'll try for Saxa Vord soon - prob on Monday. I'm feeling kna***red just. Thinking about it. More from me when I (hopefully) have made it home to Cornwall. Now, a much delayed kip zzzzzzz.

Comment

Well done to you and the motor.

Hopefully the weather cheers up, when I did le jog we were hit by what must have been a force ten and I ended up leaning at 45 degrees against it.

Comment

fabuluos! I sense a pitstop article in the offing???

Comment

Well done Dane, something to look back on in the future !

We did 900 miles door to door on the Scottish Run, and that was quite enough in 7 days

Rgds DC

Comment

We did just under 1600 miles in 10 days on the Scottish run coming home to Suffolk via Northumberland. The car didn't miss a beat, used no oil or water and 35 mpg. Loved it!

Comment

Hi all. I have just got home. I have had a memorable time and can heartily recommend a trip to the Shetland Classic motor show.....the next one is in June 2016 so there is plenty of time to plan. In all, I covered just over 2000 miles on the trip and drove from the Lizard to the end of a small dirt track at Saxa Vord on Ulsta from where I could photograph the island of Muckle Flugga. I don't think that there is a longer North/South drive in the UK but I may be wrong! The Berli didn't miss a beat throughout. The only two snags were the filler cap assembly disassembled itself due to a rubbish jubilee clip (soon sorted) and it threw a wiper blade in the Shetlands (soon found, replaced, and still attached!) I'll write at length soon plus hundreds of photos to come. The drive down from Aberdeen to home yesterday was fun too as I made it a scenic route where it was possible. 723 miles in 13½ hours. Just like the old days! All hood down - you should see my sunburnt face, ouch, despite factor 30! More from me soon when I get myself organised.

Comment

I'm very impressed - thats a long flight never mind a drive.

Comment

Working...
                      X